focus variado 2.0 views

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Im looking for a new bike ready for spring and had my mind set on a defy2 at£799 from my lbs (when they get some in as 6 week wait which i dont mind as it,ll be put away anyway).
today whilst in the shop i saw a focus which looked really nice and it turns out to be a focus variado 2.0 2012 which has been reduced to £800.they weigh the same but the focus uses 105,s where the defy uses tiagra so basically getting better equipment for same money.
basically has any one got experiance of the focus and how does it stack agaisnt the defy 2 when the focus has same spec as defy 1.

not interested in other makes as i want to buy local not online etc.
thanks
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    The variado has always been well specced for the price (Focus made their name for this on all of their models when they entered the market). Variado has a reputation for being quite a harsh ride I believe. No real experience of the Defy range but the difference between 105 and new Tiagra is pretty negligible to be honest.

Get the one that fits you best.
  • elderone wrote:
    Im looking for a new bike ready for spring and had my mind set on a defy2 at£799 from my lbs (when they get some in as 6 week wait which i dont mind as it,ll be put away anyway).
    today whilst in the shop i saw a focus which looked really nice and it turns out to be a focus variado 2.0 2012 which has been reduced to £800.they weigh the same but the focus uses 105,s where the defy uses tiagra so basically getting better equipment for same money.
    basically has any one got experiance of the focus and how does it stack agaisnt the defy 2 when the focus has same spec as defy 1.

not interested in other makes as i want to buy local not online etc.
    thanks

I've got the Focus and love it.
    Had a Trek about 3 years back and like this more.
    If I'd had more money, I would have bought a Cube Agree but since I changed tyres on the Focus, I have been loving the ride.

As said above though, it's all about fit so try then both out and go for the one that feels better.

Any further questions about the Focus though, I'll try to help out :)
  • elderone
    I have sat on the defy3 (same size frame as the defy2 i,d order) and the focus and both seem good fit but shop says which ever i choose they will change stems or what ever for perfect fit so that be good either way,,main thing , there is lots of info on defy but barely anything i can find on the focus but every thing ive read says 105 better buy than tiagra so to me seems better buy.
  • 105 is a grade up from tiagra so technically it is better kit but how much you would notice the difference is probably negligible.

It sounds like you've already made your mind up deep down that you want the Focus and if the shop will fit you to it, go for it.
    You won't be disappointed (in my opinion) if you take it but I haven't tried a Giant so can't compare the 2 myself.

Let me know if I can help further :)
  • elderone
    nutter_bed wrote:
    105 is a grade up from tiagra so technically it is better kit but how much you would notice the difference is probably negligible.

It sounds like you've already made your mind up deep down that you want the Focus and if the shop will fit you to it, go for it.
    You won't be disappointed (in my opinion) if you take it but I haven't tried a Giant so can't compare the 2 myself.

Let me know if I can help further :)
    Had my heart set on the defy 2,just the focus made me think and yes i want the focus now but thought i,d check the wisdom on here about the focus before putting money on it. :D