Advice on which hardtail frame to buy ?

leeboardman
leeboardman Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Right folks im after building my own hardtail bike from scratch, there's that many frames on the market im not sure what would be best to go for :roll: im currently riding / thrashing an 18 inch cboardman hardtail comp, i do a lot of trail riding and im wanting to enter cross country events so im after building something around the same weight, ive got no problem with the boardman i just want something different and put my own stamp on :wink: any ideas people cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the 18" actually the right size frame?

On-one carbon Whippet sounds like what you need....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Is the 18" actually the right size frame?

On-one carbon Whippet sounds like what you need....
    i had the small cboardman (16 inch) last year which was great for chucking around but i felt a little too big on it :lol: and that carbon Whippet looks really really nice :wink: cheers
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yeah On One Whippet or maybe the Scandal?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Right folks im after building my own hardtail bike from scratch, there's that many frames on the market im not sure what would be best to go for :roll: im currently riding / thrashing an 18 inch cboardman hardtail comp, i do a lot of trail riding and im wanting to enter cross country events so im after building something around the same weight, ive got no problem with the boardman i just want something different and put my own stamp on :wink: any ideas people cheers

How much do you have to spend? For what your talking about I would be looking at a good quality Carbon frame from one of the big names so it does not cost to much. Probably best performance to valve for this your looking at something from Scott, Cannondale, Giant, Orbea, Trek, Ridley, Sunn or Felt. There are other brands that do really nice carbon though can cost the earth such as Colnago and Yeti. So I would avoid them unless you have money to burn. Then there are cheap brands of carbon that I would also avoid. All the none brand carbons or small brand rebranded China frames or even some of the cheaper big names such as Cube I would tend to steer clear of.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Right folks im after building my own hardtail bike from scratch, there's that many frames on the market im not sure what would be best to go for :roll: im currently riding / thrashing an 18 inch cboardman hardtail comp, i do a lot of trail riding and im wanting to enter cross country events so im after building something around the same weight, ive got no problem with the boardman i just want something different and put my own stamp on :wink: any ideas people cheers

How much do you have to spend? For what your talking about I would be looking at a good quality Carbon frame from one of the big names so it does not cost to much. Probably best performance to valve for this your looking at something from Scott, Cannondale, Giant, Orbea, Trek, Ridley, Sunn or Felt. There are other brands that do really nice carbon though can cost the earth such as Colnago and Yeti. So I would avoid them unless you have money to burn. Then there are cheap brands of carbon that I would also avoid. All the none brand carbons or small brand rebranded China frames or even some of the cheaper big names such as Cube I would tend to steer clear of.
    Bollocks mainly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools