Rock Shox Monarch vs Fox RP2

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
HI all

What are your opinions from running a Rock Shox Monarch rear shock? Of you that have tried a Fox RP2 how does it compare?
Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WHich model of the Monarch?
  • mikeyj28
    supersonic wrote:
    WHich model of the Monarch?

The monarch R
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a Monarch and having put it on the bike (vs an old fox coil) it has been great. I flick the floodgate for climbing but aside from that I havent touched it much.

No view on an RP2.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mikeyj28
    I have a Monarch and having put it on the bike (vs an old fox coil) it has been great. I flick the floodgate for climbing but aside from that I havent touched it much.

No view on an RP2.
    Thanks for the input
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I've had a monarch r and an rp23 (on different bikes though.)

In terms of out and out suspension performance I'd say they were as good as each other. The only thing I missed with the monarch is the lack of platform damping for climbing, but that's only because the bike it was on was quite big and bouncy; so your suspension design will play some part in it.

What do you have at the moment; and what are you thinking of changing to?

Me preference however, would be a monarch with the floodgate switch. I feel it has better tuneability than the rp23.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • full service can be done at home on the monarch shox takes about 40 mins. monarch rt3 is the one to go for
    anthem x with many upgrades