My carrera Vulcan 2012 spec???

Benz carrera
Benz carrera Posts: 146
edited November 2012 in MTB general
Hello this is the spec of my carrera Vulcan (2012) what would you change or do an why?

Many thanks

Alloy Rims: Yes
Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
Chainset: SRAM S200 3.0 chainset
Exact Frame Size: 18"
Fork Lock-out : Yes
Fork travel: 120mm
Forks: Suntour XCM-V3 hydraulic damping and lockout
Forks - Adjustable damping : Yes
Frame Colour: Black and Lime
Frame Material: Aluminium
Frame Size: 19-20
Frame-: Lightweight 7005 T6 aluminium
Front Brake: Clarks SX hydraulic disc brake
Front Mech: Shimano FD-M190
Gear Shifters: SRAM X4 trigger shifters
Handle Bars: Alloy oversize riser bars (30mm rise) (31.8mm diameter)
Headset: Semi integrated
Hubs: Alloy with Q/R
Number of Gears: 24
Pedals: Wellgo alloy platform with toe clips
Rear Brake: Clarks SX hydraulic disc brake
Rear Mech: SRAM X4 rear mech
Rims: Double wall alloy rims
Saddle: Carrera
Stem: Ahead aluminium stem
Suspension: Front
Tyre size: 2.1"
Wheel size: 26"
Approximate Weight (KG): 14.7

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What let's you down?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Im changing the tyres on mine, really struggling on hills and hope this wil help. I am told the tyres are heavy but the wheels are fairly light

Im putting them on tonight/tomorrow and trying them tomorrow

Edit, just checked the surename we talked about tyres before, ill let you know how it goes
  • Cool dad I think it's d weight I new this when I brought it was abit on the heavy side I'm struggling to pick the front end up
  • Haha yes we did I remember now ye defo let me no how u get on and what tyres are they? U doin anything else to it?
  • U doin anything else to it?

hope not lol na no upgrades planned, intended to keep it standard from the beginning
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cool dad I think it's d weight I new this when I brought it was abit on the heavy side I'm struggling to pick the front end up
    As my mates 12 year old lad can wheelie one for 50 yards and manual it almost as well, I'd suggest technique.....

The tyres and heavy and don't grip too well though.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • So really it's the tyres that need changing can u suggest any? U got any tips cool dad as I'm not the lightest of bloke either lol thanks for your feedback
  • I've got a course in the 1st of December at Cannock chase so hopefully they will point me in the right direction
  • The Rookie
    Yes tyres that suite your riding in your local conditions which are.......but Panaracer Fire XC Pro and a good starting point.

Almost anything decent works at Cannock.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well beginner in the week it's mainly road and on weekend it's mountain biking on terrain and that hope that helps lol
  • The Rookie
    Rocky terrain, muddy terrain, leafy terrain, grassy terrain, gravel trails......

How many miles on road? A good soft off road tyre doesn't last too well on roads!
  • It's abit of all I think mate sorry lol and not to many miles on road I would say about 3mile a day,is 14.7kg heavy for my bike?
  • The Rookie
    When tested it was 13.4 or 13.8Kg I thought....

The Panaracer Fire XC Pro is a good alrounder, folders can be had for just over £20 each, wired (heavier) for a bit less, Bontrager RX4's are a bit better but a lot costlier.
  • Sorry what do you mean by folders or wired its gota be the first one as they are lighter ye? Thanks for al the info I appreciate it, oh right I jus copied d spec so is that heavy and will the tyres make a big differance as in will I tell its lighter?
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cooldad wrote:
    What let's you down?

I'll get my coat
  • cooldad wrote:
    What let's you down?

???????

I'll get my coat
  • Start saving for new forks if you plan on any good xc stuff , also new peddals standard ones dont have alot of grip . Dont think the rims are up to alot snapped one already. and a set of bolt on grips is my next mod.
  • So really mate the whole bike lol what pedals shud I look at cus it's got Wellgo ones on now thought they was good?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wellgo make a whole range of pedals, from cheapies to excellent, including most of the 'name' brands.
    On a budget- the B54's, for best at the price, the MG1s, although you can pick them up a bit cheaper if you shop around. The CRC prices are pretty good though.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Bran ... rtBy=Price
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Nothing much wrong with the stock (Formula) wheels, they are fairly light and pretty tough generally.

Tyres first....you can also fit lighter weight tubes while you do it!
  • Haha yes we did I remember now ye defo let me no how u get on and what tyres are they? U doin anything else to it?

Please try not to use txt spk on the forum, it makes your posts impossible to decipher and makes you come across like a complete retard.
    It also breaks Rule 3 meaning you risk a battering with the banstick.

Edit: Also, you've not told us what your budget is, or given any real coherent idea as to what you want to improve.
  • So really mate the whole bike lol what pedals shud I look at cus it's got Wellgo ones on now thought they was good?

just put a set of v8 magnesium for mine 28 quid. I kept slipping of the wellgo pedals, been out thur fri sat and sun in forest f dean taking it down the dh tracks and new pedals were great
  • change the brakes, they are terrible :)
  • change the brakes, they are terrible :)

Agree is on my list
  • got the new tires on on saturday, the bike is alot easier to pedal up hills, doesnt feel like im pedaling through treakle anymore. I was still knackered after the cycle though, just think I wasnt fully up to it on the day.

The new ones were 522g and the standard ones are 1.004g each.

I MIGHT change the tubes sometime aswell but thatll be all I change.
  • Thanks for all the replys even you cat with no tail.lol yes ino the breaks don't seem very sharp what would you recommend? And I will keep my eye out for some new tyres tubes and pedals,

Shigllgetcha what tyres did you get in the end and what tubes?
  • The Rookie
    The standard brakes are far from bad.....a clean with the right stuff and a few hard stops may well improve it.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i use the wellgo b54's and the are an excellent pedal for a small budget,very grippy and have a larger platform....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • The standard brakes are far from bad.....a clean with the right stuff and a few hard stops may well improve it.

I would rather use V-brakes, I've seen many of Clarks hydraulic brakes in peices on fairly new bikes, squirting fluid out from various places for no apparent reason, the pads coming away from the metal, and to top it off they have the stopping power of a bar of soap.

Are these pedals on eBay the ones your on about? Are they better than my standard ones?