www.bike-discount.com - anyone used it?

antop34
antop34 Posts: 62
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi there,

I am in the market for a new groupset and the best price comes back to a German company called Bike-Discount.

What I wanted to know is if anyone in the UK has used them for items about £500 and what the postage was like? also were there any additional fees.

Cheers

Comments

• 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Used them a few times. Decent prices and quick delivery with DHL. Not bought anything at that value but my experiences have been good.

• spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Used them for everything from inner tubes to shoes.

No problems and proper tracking info from DPD rather than the Parcelforce delivered or cannot find.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Yep - I use them as they re cheaper than anywhere in the Netherlands. Very good service indeed, they re basically a German CRC or Wiggle. Not only do they have proper phone support, but the people on their phone support also speak embarrassingly* good english too!

*for us
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • i use them quite alot with no problems so far
  • antop34
    antop34 Posts: 62
    brilliant, cheers guys. Always wary of overseas sites, but this seems to get nothing but good reviews!
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    Bought a bike and a few other bits from them with no issues, excellent advice over the phone as well.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    They're excellent - highly recommended.
  • Got the Hans Dampf combo from them a few weeks back; no problems.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Used them quite a lot without problems. actionsports.de are also very good for groupsets too.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Got my truing stand from them, good service. Also heard Rose Bike is worth a look.
  • Excellent shop and amazingly fast delivery on parts, clothing and accessories. Rose is great too. Not tried the others though.
  • Paul_iow
    Paul_iow Posts: 110
    Looking at action sports, do you pay the euro price converted into £ or do you just pay what price it says. So if it is €300 do you pay £300 or do they convert it? Hope that makes sense :?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    antop34 wrote:
    Always wary of overseas sites

German sites? Why? Embrace your European brethren
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    No, you may either pay in euros using your british card, or select the price pounds, they ll convert it themselves. Often using a better exchange rate than using a credit card (which are terrible). It reads your IP address (or some nerdery) and knows what country you re in which is why it gives you prices in GBP, and me in EUR

When you live abroad you learn these things...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paul_iow
    Paul_iow Posts: 110
    ddraver wrote:
    No, you may either pay in euros using your british card, or select the price pounds, they ll convert it themselves. Often using a better exchange rate than using a credit card (which are terrible). It reads your IP address (or some nerdery) and knows what country you re in which is why it gives you prices in GBP, and me in EUR

That's great. It's giving me price in euros but converting it is giving me an excellent price so I may be using the credit card soon to buy myself some new toys!
  • felix.london
    Paul_iow wrote:
    So if it is €300 do you pay £300 or do they convert it? :?

:? indeed

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    ddraver wrote:

To be fair you should know these things without having to live abroad
    Paul_iow wrote:
    That's great. It's giving me price in euros but converting it is giving me an excellent price

Welcome to the internet hey?

Trek Session 8
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I ordered some forks off them and I got sent a lowere model , so did another guy from here. They offered to change them and refund postage etc but for a number of reasons I didn't bother. The other guy did ( I can't remember who it was now) and he got everything sorted. But maybe they were trying it on as return postage was £50!?!

But dispatch etc was spot on and the other guy got his forks changed quick enough so ordering from them should be fine :-)
  • welshkev wrote:
    I ordered some forks off them and I got sent a lowere model , so did another guy from here. They offered to change them and refund postage etc but for a number of reasons I didn't bother. The other guy did ( I can't remember who it was now) and he got everything sorted. But maybe they were trying it on as return postage was £50!?!

But dispatch etc was spot on and the other guy got his forks changed quick enough so ordering from them should be fine :-)

It was me who got the forks exchanged. They sorted everything out and have bought from them on a number of occasions since.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.