tiagra rear derailleur problem

ronanlee
ronanlee Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Hi all

I am going absolutely nuts with this, I had to change the pads on the rear disc brakes on my Specialized Tricross Elite. all went well, lined the BB%'s up and got on to test them, the gears wouldn's shift.

I shifted all the way into the smallest cog on the rear and front - this took a bit of fiddling because it didn't really "click" as I shifted down, but the indicator in the little window did move all the way to the left, I closed the rear barrell adjuster and the inline jagwire barrell adjuster, pulled the cable tight, tightened it up - but it still wont shift, it's absolutely driving me crazy. I have tried tightening the barrell adjuster but that just makes it shift independent of the gear shift level, it stays in whatever gear I "tighten" it to.

The cable is pretty new, maybe 3 months old, I have never changed or messed around with the rear derailleur but surely it cant be this complicated? the derailleur moves when I am trying to tension the cable but again, surely it should shift even one gear to show its working in some way?

Any ideas? I really dont need another visit to the Lbs this month, I'm broke with this @#§%& bike!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ronan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    trapped the cable somewhere? check the routing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I thought that might have been it, but it runs freely through the cable housing without any snagging or rubbing - thanks for the suggestion though.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ok. what else did you do when you changed the pads?

did you acidentally shift the gears? did you force the wheel out when the chain was not over the smallest cog?

lack of click is normally due to lack of pull from the mech. which is friction. pull on the one of the open streches of wire and click down the gears with you taking up the slack (mech not moving) does it click well? then let the cable go while turning the cranks. does the mech shift move cleanly?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I think I must have forced the weel out when it wasnt on the smallest cog - this has never happened before though.

Even if I pull tension on the cable it still wont shift more than once - I think I'll have to bring it to the LBS, havent got a clue what it might be, wasted about 2 hours on it - I'll post up what they do to fix it!

Thanks for the advice!
  • Ok went to to Lorenzo in Bike Extreme in Cassino, (my LBS) the cable in the shifter had jumped out of it's slot and therefore worked ok in the down shifting sequence but wouldn't work for u shifting (1st up to 10)

thanks for all the advice

Ronan