SRAM chain - stiff links

dmorton
dmorton Posts: 244
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just been adjusting a new chain to length. It's a SRAM PC951. I've had to rejoin the chain to put an extra link in, was too short the first time. It's got one power link in but where I've rejoined the chain with the pins the links are stiff. You can see the jockey wheel jump slightly as the link goes round.

Two Questions:

You can rejoin SRAM chains with the original pins right?

If so will these links loosen up?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Give it a sideways waggle but if it's going to snap that's where it will happen. Use two powerlinks instead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Most chain tools have a second set of tabs that are designed to help move stiff links. If you have a look at your tool you will see these tabs. Unscrew the tool so these tabs become accessible. Put th chain on these top tabs and tighten it down so it just touches. Then give it another 1/4 of a turn. It will have the effect of slightly splaying that chain open. Repeat on te other side if it hasn't helped.

Sorry if that's not very clear. I bet Park explain it better on their site.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited October 2012
    I really wouldn't join that chain with a tool and the pins there already. Do as cooldad says and use 2 power links. Means you're always carrying a spare with you too.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Also though, as CD says, when joining using pins (which in my opinion is just fine), once joined you need to bend the chain backwards and forwards (not in the way it naturally bends, but as if you were trying to snap it) until the chain links loosen up. Two or three good strong flexes of the chain should seat the pins properly and you'll be good to go. Don't worry too much about snapping the chain, you can be fairly harsh with it (assuming you are only using your hands) - if it does break, all that tells you is it would have broken on the trail and been even more annoying.

Do however go a bit easier on it if the powerlink is close to the stiff link, they are weaker than the normal links, and dont like to be flexed as much.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • dmorton
    Cheers for the info guys, will try what's been suggested.

Found this info on using chain tool to fix stiff links

Tight link removal

To loosen tight links, place the chain in the chain tool as if you were removing the pin but from the opposing direction to insertion and using the second, un-buttressed slot on the chain tool. Then gently press the pin just a little bit outward, maybe a quarter of a turn, thus dragging the offending plates apart. This technique is useful in these days of lightweight chains featuring very thin plates that can be bent easily. Namely, grab the chain on opposite sides of the stiff pin and gently bend the chain back and forth, alternating with the inner and outer plates first in line, then at an angle. Don’t overdo it and bend your chain, though.

1269535075720-5ipbgcdfjksn-670-70.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Notice that that is a special joining pin?

Fit a quick link, job done.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    You can rejoin SRAM chains with the original pins right?

I'd use a quicklink, every time.

Kmc missing links are cheaper than the sram ones, about £1.50 each - not worth not using one.
  • dmorton
    Also just ordered some Powerlinks from CRC :D Handy to have regardless.

According to SRAM tech doc, the PC951 can be joined by Powerlink or Pin. Here, pg 71 http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/SBapqB1KCQ3-0NgWUaIzVaqNXbofxsy1YhKU5AjHm3k/mtime:1301686365/sites/default/files/techdocs/my10-sram-tech-manual-rev-a.pdf

Interesting, saw that 10 speed chain, e.g. PC10xx, can only be joined by Powerlock (not links) and these can only be used once! - http://www.sram.com/sram/road/technologies/powerlock
  • benpinnick
    edited October 2012
    The piccie is a shimano chain, which needs a special pin. SRAM and KMC can use their 'normal' pins. SRAM 10 spd powerlinks are one hit wonders, KMC 10 speed ones are reusable (who knows why).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Chunkers1980
    Ben, you're making most if that up.
  • benpinnick
    Nope, Im just a geek.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Chunkers1980
    Not a very good one then. Your SRAM powerlinks are actually locks.
  • benpinnick
    Thats being a pedant, not a geek.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • dmorton
    The pic was to show how to free up stiff links with the chain tool, basically to illustrate what Spacedog was describing.

I tried it and it works on a SRAM chain, always wondered what the other set of tabs on the tool were for
  • dmorton
    .............. tried out the new chain yesterday. It skips under load on high gears!

Hoping this is still stiff links and not that the cassette is also worn
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    benpinnick wrote:
    The piccie is a shimano chain, which needs a special pin. SRAM and KMC can use their 'normal' pins. SRAM 10 spd powerlinks are one hit wonders, KMC 10 speed ones are reusable (who knows why).

Shimano chains are peend over - technical term for twatting the pins with a special tool so they splay slightly resulting in the end of the pins being larger so it won't pass through the hole in the link.

See the picutre below - look carefully and you will see two lines on the pin ends.
    ii_hg_90_chain.jpg