Giant Defy bikes and.......................WEIGHT !!!

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
So yesterday I was in a good long chat with the owner of a bike shop that was a Giant dealer. I told him I was giving serious thought to buying a Synapse or Defy bike and lots of miles in comfort with no sore backside were high on the priority list. He immediately told me how excellent he thought the Defy`s were and I said id looked at the Defy 2 and Defy 3. He said the frames were the same and only difference was groupset. I said Id looked at many websites and the issue of Defy and weight was one that seemed to be sidestepped. He said hang on a mo, ive got a Defy2 beside me and lets put it on the digital scales. I could hear him rummaging about and the act of him weighing the bike. He came back and said right the Defy 2 weighs 10.2 kg according to my scales ioh-10055061.jpg

I said you cannot be serious !!...............................mcenroe.jpg surely its a lot lighter than that !!

Im asking any of you guys who either own a Defy 2 or have tried one, have you found them to be a bit of a lug in terms of weight ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    For the price you won't get much lighter.

What were you expecting? It just seems incredibly naive to think that an entry level bike such as the Defy 2 would be light.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    heapest canyon the roadlight al 6.0SL is 8.2kg according to the website - roughly same prices
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • My 56cm allez that cost £500 with full shimano 2300 weighed 9.6kg... And my friends 54cm defy 1 weighs 8.9. Unless the frame size you are talking about is a lot larger.. 10.2kg does seem to be on the heavy side
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Don't forget pedals, were they fitted? Pump, bottle cage?
  • For comparison, my Defy 3 (size M, CF frame) is 8.6 kg (including bottle cage, pedals, and a small saddlebag).
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Giant are cagey about weights ie refuse to publish them because well, their bikes are a bit heavy. I checked out a defy composite 2, costs about 1500, weighed 9kg without pedals on the shops scales. The giant tcr 3 composite was similar. Bit disappointing for the money.

I have a 1996 giant cfr 3 (carbon tubes joined with alu lugs) which I've just added a campag centaur groupset to, weighs 8.6kg with fulcrum racing 7 wheels (which are average weight at 1850g).
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    edhornby wrote:
    heapest canyon the roadlight al 6.0SL is 8.2kg according to the website - roughly same prices
    weights quoted on websites are never accurate and normally understated.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • What's in a kilo lighter wheels and a bit of weight loss makes a lighter ride :wink:
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    notlongnow wrote:
    What's in a kilo lighter wheels and a bit of weight loss makes a lighter ride :wink:

If you really care about weight then you will have to weigh two competing bikes kitted out the same in the shop. You cannot trust manufacturers' quoted weights.

The Defys get excellent reviews but at that price point you aren't going to get a 7kg bike.

You may already be stick thin for all I know, but the easiest way to reduce the whole bike/rider combo weight is to go on a diet. It's cheap, effective and good for you :D .
  • ..weighed my Orbea Aqua the other day...10kg and that's with Aksiums....stock wheels would probably have added another kg!

...great way to get fit and it's nice to know my next bike will save me a few kgs...( and before you ask, I'm 68kg myself, so not much scope for weight loss there...)
  • spuddle
    spuddle Posts: 61
    my 2011 Giant Defy 2 weighed in at 9.2kg with 2 bottle cages and aksium wheels, and garmin edge 500
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    spuddle wrote:
    my 2011 Giant Defy 2 weighed in at 9.2kg with 2 bottle cages and aksium wheels, and garmin edge 500

alloy or carbon bike ?
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    just read a review by a bike mag on line who tested the defy2 alloy and they weighed it at 21.4lbs which i believe is 9.7kgs..I was looking into getting a defy 2 so read up lots on them..
    my current bike which is a carrera virtuoso ltd and cost half of a defy 2, weighed in at 11.2kg tonight with 2 bottles and holders,medium seat bag with tube and tools and comp on it.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    the scales at my gym reckon im about half a stone heavier than any other scales I've used. Maybe it was his scales or the way he weighed them ie holding it upright and pushing down or something
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I was told by a Giant retailer in Twickenham London that weight of Giant bikes is mentioned in their Japanese and German website not their UK version;however I found the weight of defy 2 in the following link:
    http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bikes-and-gear-features/best-entry-level-road-bike-giant-defy-2
    I am concerned about weight as it is one of the most important features of a bicycle.By looking at the mentioned website here is the rule of thumb for price and weight:
    for a bike worth 1000 $ 20 lbs is very good.
    2600 $ 16 lbs
    4000 $ 15 lbs
    5000 $ 14 lbs
    Notes: 1-Figures are approximated and can be applied to road bikes NOT mountain or urban bikes as they are intrinsically heavier
    2-Weight of a bike also depends on the size and other component of the bike such as pedals so I personally consider 4 lbs as an error margin
  • Scott speedster 20 weighs 8.95kg I received mine yesterday an could not believe how light it was an comes with 105 like the defy 1
    Scott speedster 20 compact 2013
    Claud butler san remo 2012
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    dazzlers82 wrote:
    Scott speedster 20 weighs 8.95kg I received mine yesterday an could not believe how light it was an comes with 105 like the defy 1
    What size frame?
  • Mine is a 49cm but I'm not sure what that weight is based on.
    http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/pro ... eedster-20
    Scott speedster 20 compact 2013
    Claud butler san remo 2012
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Giant Defy 0 M/L here. With two Giant bottle cages and the mounts for saddle bag and Cateye mine weighs 9.5kg. I suspect I could get that down by a kilo if I changed the wheels.
  • Hi- I was reading this old thread because I was searching to see how heavy my friends new carbon Giant bikes were. One of my friend's 4 or 5 year old carbon giant weighed 19.8 lbs (8.98 kg - think that's what he said). I was checking to compare their new carbon Giant bikes to the old steel bikes I ride. My 58 cm centre to centre (one giant in a posting above is only 48 cm) 1978 Pinarello Super Record weighs 9.34 kg with the heavier cinelli campione del mondo bars and colnago campione del mondo pantographed stem (with the 5 campione diamonds on the top). I do have a concor light titanium saddle on it which is bit newer being from the 90s lol. My early 80s Colnago Super weighs 9.30 kg as well with a newer prologo/colnago saddle on it. I could make both bikes .44 lbs lighter too by putting on a 1980s/90s 3ttt prima 220 merckx bend handlebar and lighter 3ttt quill stem and continental supersonic inner tubes that I have on my 70s Frejus (haven't weighed it yet).

The other day someone walked right past one of my friends brand new carbon giant (first ride that day on it) to ask who owned the cool 80s red colnago.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Thought I'd add to this seen as it's been revived. My defy 2 (this years) medium, came out at a tad over 9kg with pedals fitted. No cages, sensors, etc. Not too bad as the wheel and tyre combo aren't light at all (racing 7/gp 4 season). Replacement saddle (2014 toupe comp gel) isn't light either. Not too fussed as I enjoy using the bike and can afford to lose a fair bit of body weight.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    German bikes aways seem to quote weight kgs lighter than same priced UK ones, maybe not having cheap & heavy wheels that are over 2kg helps?
  • dave668
    dave668 Posts: 1
    I have a defy allux 2010 as a winter bike built up from an ebay frame, Defy full CF forks including and ultegra less for 105 chainset in 2013. It rides so nice that I haven't got on my summer bike yet. Summer bike is Boardman team alloy that cost under £900 and is not that heavy (8.25kg new). Came with Sram Rival that is lighter then Ultegra. Now under 8kg as it has DA C24 wheelset / Slk K force CF chainset / and changed out seat post and bars. My next move is possible to get a new Defy 3 composite and swap the groupset across. I really like the geometry of the defy, just trying to weigh up the advantages as I don't think I would get much of a weight reduction....?
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I took way over a kilo off my SCR2, mostly by changing the finishing kit, chainset and wheelset. It still weighed over 9kg. My TCR on the other hand is a shade over 8, and there could be half a kilo to save with better wheels.
    Weight becomes an obsession. One best avoided unless you have pretty deep pockets.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...