Lance Armstrong should confess and apologise

Lichtblick
Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
edited October 2012 in Pro race
The more that comes out, the more strongly I feel that Lance Armstrong should call a press conference to confess and APOLOGISE.

IMO, he should start with

* Betsy Andreu. Calling her "fat and ugly" (also crazy and unhinged) is despicable. It makes me sick. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... ndreu.html

* Emma O'Reilly. Calling her an "alcoholic prostitute" is despicable.
* His former wife and all his children, for lying to them so much for so long
* ALL former team-mates who were coerced and bullied including Tyler Hamilton
* ALL former competitors who may have thought they were in a real competition
* ALL his former sponsors
* EVERYONE connected in any way with his charity
* The American public who bought the story for so long
* The rest of the world cycling fans ditto
* Everyone he sued on the back of the lies for so long
* His Mother.
(this list is not exclusive)

The only way out of this (short of topping himself, afaics) is to grow up and say SORRY, and really mean it. What does he have to lose apart from pride?

:cry: :evil:

Comments

• Lichtblick wrote:
    What does he have to lose apart from pride?

:cry: :evil:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

.....not to mention his liberty.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Another Lance thread...?!

And as Wiggins has said he should, but most likely wont due to £ and purjury issues I think everyone is of the same opinion. There is a little overkill on this in the news.
  • Lichtblick
    Regarding the news, scrumple, that's another thing which enrages me. Every single news story has him "battling" cancer, or "beating" cancer, as if it is the most horrific disease in all human history so far.

No one ever says that people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) are "battling" it.
    No one ever says that people with Alzheimers are "battling" it.
    No one ever says that people with Parkinsons are "battling" it.
    No one ever says that people with Motor Neurone Disease are "battling" it.

All those are incurable and appalling diagnoses/death sentences. I have friends or neighbours who have each one of those. Cancer can - just like yon Lance - be treated and cured. I for one have heard enough about his temporary illness and am (cliché alert) sick to the teeth with the way he, his "charity", and all media reports peddle this story.

The only way out for him, IMHO, is to step up in public, and apologise, like a grown up, since he is 41. What's the alternative? An even worse prospect than a diagnosis of any of the above, where the person would get sympathetic support. IMO.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    Regarding the news, scrumple, that's another thing which enrages me. Every single news story has him "battling" cancer, or "beating" cancer, as if it is the most horrific disease in all human history so far.

No one ever says that people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) are "battling" it.
    No one ever says that people with Alzheimers are "battling" it.
    No one ever says that people with Parkinsons are "battling" it.
    No one ever says that people with Motor Neurone Disease are "battling" it.

All those are incurable and appalling diagnoses/death sentences. I have friends or neighbours who have each one of those. Cancer can - just like yon Lance - be treated and cured. I for one have heard enough about his temporary illness and am (cliché alert) sick to the teeth with the way he, his "charity", and all media reports peddle this story.

The only way out for him, IMHO, is to step up in public, and apologise, like a grown up, since he is 41. What's the alternative? An even worse prospect than a diagnosis of any of the above, where the person would get sympathetic support. IMO.

There is a quote in Tyler Hamiltons book where According to Landis "lance thought his cancer could have been brought on by the testosterone he was taking" - karma?

I cant imagine he will ever stand up and apologise / confess but I do think that if he was to come completely clean he would still be able to spin his way out of the hole he has dug - I hope he doest - as he comes across as a horrible c@@t
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • johny c
    johny c Posts: 256
    this is an old video clip so has probably been linked already, but I would draw your attention to the final minute or so, from 48.50
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDy5NLVkliU
    Johny
  • Lichtblick
    So, ok, I got cross last night. Having previously stated that I was tired of the tale, I then found myself re-absorbed in the long end-game playing out. I got cross with all the news sites repeatedly trotting out the cliché about "battling cancer" for personal reasons, etcetera see posts passim.

I had also forgotten (in the shed-loads of stuff to be read on all this) that LA had testified under oath somewhen and somewhere previously (to the FBI? don't know) and that therefore to confess now would plant him firmly under risk of jail for perjury, should he confess.

Here's the way it is now, and I realise this is not an original train of thought.

* No record of any professional cycling achievements since 1998 (?) All wiped out.
    * No sponsors
    * UCI want prize money back, totalling $ millions?
    * SCA want their money back, totalling £7.5 millions
    * Legacy/charity in tatters
    * Cannot confess (no matter how) because of risk of perjury > more fines or jail
    * Sunday Times probably want their money back, totalling £500,000 - £1m.
    * Friends? (who'd be a?)

This hell is all of his own making. No one made him do any of it.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I think he has gone to ground now and will probably settle any cases not covered by SOL out of court. If I was him I wouldn't apologise publicly and prolong the media circus. What happens to Livestrong now though, hopefully should see it just fade away in the next couple of years. I imagine Lance will remain a rich man but he has 40 years of life to live with all that money and no reputation...time to buy himself an island.
  • He'll become the L Ron Hubbard of Livestrong, perhaps not handling the control of it directly, but always there in the background.
  • There is a good piece in this month's Cycle Sport. To paraphrase, he might hold a press conference at some point to say yes, he did it, but so did everyone else, but he won't apologise because he doesn't think (or may not be capable of thinking) he did anything wrong.