2013 Giant XTC Composite 3 29er

scobbie
scobbie Posts: 21
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get a new 29er hardtail for mainly XC and red graded trails. Also hoping so start XC racing in the summer. I've got a budget of £1500 and I really like the look of this Giant. Last year's XTC Composite 1 won best £1000-£1500 bike in WMB so I'm guessing this bike is pretty good. Going to a shop to have a sit on it on Sunday.

Anyone have any opinions on this bike?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.xtc.composite.29er.3/11849/56862/

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks poor value to me. Heavy fork for XC, bargain basement finishing kit, entry level drivetrain, basic wheels. Might ride ok, but on paper the value is low.
  • scobbie
    Is there anything else you'd recommend? I'm quite restricted because I want to buy from somewhere nearby, so my options are really only local bike shops or Evans, and I can't say I'm that impressed by anything on their website. If only Canyon had a shop in Glasgow.
  • supersonic
    Any Halfords nearby? It isn't a 29er, but so much better specced than the giant - cheaper and will be lighter too, probably several pounds:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab1
  • scobbie
    You're right that spec is a lot better than the Giant. Was really wanting a 29er though. Once you look at the Canyon and Halfords bikes everything else just looks terrible value in comparison.
  • supersonic
    OnOne do a reasonable 29er for £1500, but not local to you. Unless you are willing to take a bit of a hit with the spec on a 29er, then little you can do I am afraid. They are just terrible value this year!
  • scobbie
    Is that the Dirty Harry? I've had quite a few problems with my current bike, that's why I'd rather buy local. I guess it's going to cost me an extra few hundred quid for the privilege.

What about Cube bikes? I see they do a carbon 29er and they are usually good value. I'm sure there's a shop in Glasgow that sells them as well.
  • zr50sl
    zr50sl Posts: 29
    the cube 29ers look well specced compared to a lot of other brands for the same money.I'm looking to get a LTD pro 29er myself and live in Glasgow too. Freeflow bikes in Cathkin are not selling them this year,the nearest Cube dealer now is Walkers cycles in Kilmaurs near Kilmarnock.The shops got a pretty good reputation and Neil,the manager knows his stuff.
  • scobbie
    Cheers!

Just had a look at the retailer search on the Cube website and there are also dealers in Bathgate (Hooked on Cycling), Edinburgh (The Bike Chain) and Dunfermline (The Bike Shop). The Bike Shop seems to have the best selection so I think I'll drive through to Dunfermline on Sunday for a look.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Your choiceof course, and admirable, but forcing yourself to buy local will cost a fair few pounds, there are plenty of end of year models at big discounts. It might be worth you taking a look at places like Paul's Cycles to see what is available. Chain reaction also have some serious discounts on 29ers
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • zr50sl
    zr50sl Posts: 29
    where did you see the bike shops (Dunfermline) selection? I've just had a look on their website and none of the Cube carbon 29ers (or even the alu ones) show stock in any size.(it says coming soon).Just in case you drive through there to get a look at them and they have none in stock. I've been trying to get a look at a LTD pro 29er 17" but none of the shops withing a 60 mile radius of Glasgow will be getting them in stock until at least November
  • scobbie
    You're right mate I don't think anywhere has them in stock right now. Just have to keep checking.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Also have a look at http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-8- ... nformation a litle over your budget but for an off the peg bike that is awesome value for money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • scobbie
    That's a unbelievable spec. I'm starting to question whether I should get a 29er or just stick with 26 inch wheels and go for either this or the Boardman HT Pro Carbon.
  • jozeppi
    jozeppi Posts: 40
    Grand Canyon AL29 /9.9 good spek this is where my money would go also do a carbon
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Also have a look at http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-8- ... nformation a litle over your budget but for an off the peg bike that is awesome value for money.
    the
    Unfortunately, this products is out of stock
    bit on the page will exclude that though
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er they've all gone. Thread seems to have been resurrected by another non specific whiner.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    Er they've all gone. Thread seems to have been resurrected by another non specific whiner.
    homer-simpson-doh.jpg
      that'll teach me, i usually look at the dates of posts :oops:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
This discussion has been closed.