How Tight Should Top Cap & Stem Bolts Be?

jerryfudd
jerryfudd Posts: 343
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I did a fork swap yesterday and there is no side or height play and it turns freely all in all im happy - am I just being overly worried now in the cold light of day (and after a test ride & half hour hack through city traffic) that I could have over tightened the top cap & stem bolts? would there be signs that I have?

Dan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    top cap just tp preload the bearings. stem bolts as tight as it says on the stem. or tight enough so the stem does not twist on the steerer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jerryfudd
    nicklouse wrote:
    top cap just tp preload the bearings. stem bolts as tight as it says on the stem. or tight enough so the stem does not twist on the steerer.

all appears well.... am i just being paranoid? ...rode like a dream this morning.

I took a look and it said 5nm on the stem but tbh although I should im loathed to buy a torgue wrench
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you overtightened the top cap, unless it was so tight the steerer went stiff, the first thing you know is when the bearings fail, the top cap should be JUST tight enough to remove headset play.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    top cap - use allen key but put the long arm into the bolt so you are using the shorter arm as the lever then use thumb a nd one finger to tighter - unless you are incredibly strong, you wont over tighten it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The top cap bolt is an adjuster - use it to adjust the headset bearings when the stem side bolts are loosened.
  • jerryfudd
    thanks all - had done the top cap up WAY too tight.

the stock forks had come out the first time with a gentle tap.... this time however took 3 good taps - with a club hammer, block of wood and cloth oops!

anyway, re-greased and did up the top cap as advised just enough to remove play and not be loose and steering feels all the better for it.

rockshox feel so so much better than the suntours!

thanks all!

Dan