Tubless hybrid

sandy771
sandy771 Posts: 368
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Could polarise opinions a bit

Have been running tubeless happily for a while with a nevegal on the rear. Came time to change it and I thought I would try a minion but buggered if I can get it on the rim. Riding conditions are carp at this timeof year around here with lots of hawthorne hedges cut back so puncures are the norm on pretty much every ride.

So given that the idea behind tubless for me is a) lower pressures and b) no punctures, and as I was running out of time to get the new tyre on before tonights ride I decided to try a mates suggestion and put the monkey spunk inside a tube (cut a hole, insert spunk, seal hole...).

I know that the tyre/tube etc. will weigh more and that the weight is in a bad place but I am prepared to put up with that if it stays inflated, and the weight difference is only that between the rim strip (removed) and the tube that has replaced it. I expect when I get a bit of time I'll replace thre rim strip and do the job properly

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    My thought is why cut a hole? Cant you get the sealant in through the valve (with the core removed)?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Will work just like any normal slimed tube (well slightly better as the slime is better).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    benpinnick wrote:
    My thought is why cut a hole? Cant you get the sealant in through the valve (with the core removed)?

Only because that is what was suggested to me - are all valve cores removable?