Sufferfest + trainer help

nort757
nort757 Posts: 104
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
afternoon fellas,
first post so please go easy,starting to get into the world of road riding as hopefully doing end to end next july,been mtb'ing for a fair few years now so fitness isn't too bad
however, looking at getting a turbo for when the weather and time doesnt allow me to get out but i think just sitting there for an hour will bore me
seen a few adverts and vids of these sufferfest videos which i think would make a good change,however i have no clue on whats needed equipment wise,i have a garmin 800 and the trainer will be a tacx satori pro if that helps
im guessing you need some sort of cadence thing to hook them up??
i have searched but i cant find anything
any help would be very much appreciated
thanks in advance

Comments

• If you have a garmin 800 you just need the cadence sensor to get the speed into the garmin.

If you want to be a bit more interesting have a look at trainerroad.com . If you add a Garmin ANT+USB stick to your computer and run a sufferfest video you can get virtual power graphs which are amazingly accurate. You then get speed and virtual power on the screen whilst doing a sufferfest. Add in a heart rate monitor and you have everything you need for training.
  • nort757
    thanks for the reply,its baffled me to be honest,so i need a cadence unit to start? how does the info get sent to the computer or is that where the ant usb comes in?
    thanks again
  • The cadence sensor communicates with the Garmin and the Ant stick enables the Garmin communicate with the laptop.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited October 2012
    You don't need a cadence monitor for sufferfest training, it just makes it better/easier. All you really need for cadence is a big clock with a second-hand, count the revolutions of one foot for for 15 seconds, 20 revs is about normal, 25 is fast. Most training programmes work by varying the resistance (gears) and toggling the cadence between normal (80-90) and fast (100+) for intervals.

I learned to get my cadence running at a decent level by doing turbo work, getting experience of what 80 and 100+ feels like. I have just treated myself to a new computer with a cadence sensor to make things a bit more (psuedo) scientific, but the main reason was that I wanted an entry level GPS tracker and getting something to track HR and cadence at the same time made sense for the the outlay.

The main trick with sufferfest is to work out your TT level and equate that to level 7. It is the level of gears/resistance when running at ~90revs where you really are on the edge of sustainability. You want to stop but find you can hold it for 20-30 mins, although you constantly ask yourself why. Then, dropping a gear is level 6, etc. Level 7.5 would be 100 revs in the "TT" gear. You may find that playing with the resistance on your turbo helps to get a nice range on the cogs (you will need a range of 4 -10).
  • nort757
    very much appreciated guys
    thanks again