Shoes to go with Shimano M324 pedals

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I got some Shimano M324 pedals with my new road bike recently, and so far I've just been riding in trainers on the flats.

However, I'm starting to think of getting some shoes, though, and I'm considering some low-cost ones initially.

Something like these Pearl Izumi... or these Shimano MT23, perhaps.

I'm thinking I could clip out and ride on the flats again, any time where I expect to be stopping and starting a lot. It seems it might be a good intro to clipless riding.

Be grateful for any thoughts on these or similar.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    ChrisAonabike: I like you mate, so here's the lowdown.

Forget those shoes, they are the sort of thing Joey Essex would buy. You need proper road shoes like these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r064-ro ... ing-shoes/

why by flat shoes or mountain bike shoes if you are on the road? they aint stiff enough son.

With the shoes ive linked you cover yourself, as you have holes for both types of cleats if you ever want to change the pedals. The pedals you have are good, but if you get into road cycling i bet you change them for full on road pedals at some point, and when that happens you'll be crying into your Weetabix every morning wishing you'd listened to old Greentea.
    So fekin listen yeh, good lad.
    :wink:
  • greentea wrote:
    ChrisAonabike: I like you mate, so here's the lowdown.
    That's twice he's been nice to me, who's hacked into GreenTea's account?? ;)
    Actually that's not a bad price. Most of the road shoes I've seen have been a lot more than that, which was one reason I was looking at the MTB shoes.
    So fekin listen yeh, good lad.
    :wink:
    Righto, cheers.

Still bricking it a bit over the clipping in and out tho, which was why being able to switch to flats on the same shoes and pedals appealed.

On my second ride out (after 25 years) on a loaned hybrid a couple months ago I failed to get my foot out of a toe clip and fell over sideways. Immediately after I'd moseyed past a queue of stationary cars and come to a stop at the lights. Must have looked (and definitely felt) a right tw@t. :oops:
  • tigert
    tigert Posts: 8
    I agree with Greentea to some extent.

However if you want something that you can ride on the flat side with, the the options you linked are ok.

I have the same pedals and use these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mt43-spd-touringleisure-cycling-shoes/ and like them.

Personally due to problems with my right leg, I need to clip in, but I also need to be able to walk easily in the shoes, hence the M324s / MTB shoes, otherwise I'd go with Road shoes / pedals.
    Trek Emonda SL6
    Trek Madone 9.9 (arriving soon)
    Brompton
  • Well, at risk of incurring Greentea's ire, I've decided to take the wussy option, and today I picked up a pair of some Specialized MTB shoes - the Tahoe Sport.

I expect I'll end up with proper road shoes in time, but for now I want to be able to clip out and still ride if necessary, and walk at least a bit - one of my most frequent rides involves the footbridge at Teddington Lock. Although if there aren't too many people I can pretend I'm Martyn Ashton and ride up and down the ramps, usually there are just too many people that don't get out of the way.

They were a bit pricier (£80) than I was planning, but I also tried a pair of these Shimano ones, and the Spesh ones were far more comforable. The sole seems fairly stiff, but they bend up just a bit at the toe which makes walking easier.

So I've attached the cleats and had a bit of a practice adjusting the tension and clipping in and out... jeeez!!!!

Please tell me they get easier - so far they just seem like another opportunity to make myself look like a plank, not that I was short of those before. :)
  • (couple of hours later...)

Ha! It's not that hard is it :)
  • Just to clarify things, there is nothing wrong whatsoever with MTB shoes. If there were, why would mountain bikers use them? There are plenty of highly accomplished road cyclists who use shoes with recessed cleats.

But honestly, if ever there were a 'marginal gain', this would be one of them. Road shoes may look the part, but if you think they're going to make you faster, think again. Even stiffened soles won't change your life. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't opt for the right equipment if you can, but if you have any reason to walk at any point in your journey, you should consider shoes with recessed cleats. They are very convenient, and travelling to places on your bike is one of the very best parts of being a cyclist.

For simple reason of accumulation I've done more cycling in old trainers with my venerable clips and straps than not, and I achieved much faster times than many with much posher equipment. When I switched to Shimano MTB shoes (still with clips and straps) I didn't notice much difference.