Refuse to pay your BC license fee next year

2»

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    ed_209 wrote:
    I think that cancelling BC membership risks undoing lots good work that they do at grass roots level

I think you may need to articulate what the good things they do at a grass roots level are - as I've seen nothing from BC in that direction, they're very poor at anything but Olympic investment.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    I think we all need to calm down and take a breath. There are no contenders making themselves known or, especially, promoting policies, to suggest there is anybody out there to take over and change anything. I heard Anne Gripper commenting on R5 last night also, and was quite surprised she was so supportive of PMcQ but I am willing to give her credit for knowing more about it all than me !!! Most of this happened prior to PMcQ's reign anyway.
    He has, however, presided over the Blood Passport which has led the world and gained credibility even with WADA.
    Of course there are shortcomings but it is early days. The globalisation has also thrived under PMcQ. I laughed at the idea of the Tour of Beijing when it first happened but the race just finished was actually quite good.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    Why would anyone pay for a BC license anyway?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179

To race?
  • ed_209
    ed_209 Posts: 17
    jibberjim wrote:
    ed_209 wrote:
    I think that cancelling BC membership risks undoing lots good work that they do at grass roots level

I think you may need to articulate what the good things they do at a grass roots level are - as I've seen nothing from BC in that direction, they're very poor at anything but Olympic investment.

This weekend I'll be doing some cyclocross racing in Paisley on Sunday and watching the scottish track championships in the new Glasgow velodrome Saturday. British Cycling is involved in both of these.

The cyclocross includes an under-12s race and halloween fancy dress is optional - can it get more grassroots than that?
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    Pross wrote:

To race?

You don't need one for Hill Climbs or time trials.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212

I don't even ride any more - or hardly anyway - but still keep a "Ride" licence as I feel I want to support all the fantastic work that BC have done, oh yes and I have insurance cover if I do ride. My time is past but what BC gives me now is the enjoyment of all the success that GB riders have had over recent years. As many coaches will - I hope - realise, getting enjoyment out of the success of others is very satisfying and BC have supported so many to such great success in recent years I applaud them, not criticise. That success on the track would have been sufficient for me to say that but to now see that evolve into success on the road culminating in the last 12 months is beyond what I could ever have dreamed over my 40-odd years in cycling.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Has the BC put out a press release clarifying their stance on this? I don't recall seeing anything.

I'd rather we all lobby the BC to come out with a clear and strong statement of its position. Then people can start talking about positive action, if their position is poor.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    ed_209 wrote:
    British Cycling is involved in both of these.

Have you actually tried to put on a race and found out how much "help" you get from BC? They may be "involved" but that doesn't mean they do anything but collect fees for the insurance.

There is help and some very good regional people, but the central BC structure provides virtually nothing.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

To race?

You don't need one for Hill Climbs or time trials.

Those aren't the only type of race though are they? I prefer road racing - there's no TLI events near to me, I only qualify for LVRC from next season therefore to race (and try to climb the category system) I need a BC licence.
  • Pross
    jibberjim wrote:
    ed_209 wrote:
    British Cycling is involved in both of these.

Have you actually tried to put on a race and found out how much "help" you get from BC? They may be "involved" but that doesn't mean they do anything but collect fees for the insurance.

There is help and some very good regional people, but the central BC structure provides virtually nothing.

Surely the BC funding gets partially allocated to those regional people though? I assume that happens in Wales and Welsh Cycling are very supportive. BC were very good with the National Trophy round we put on recently, the amount of barriers and other equipment they supply for events like that is huge and whilst the main race is quite high level that also enabled kids from 8 upwards to race in such a professional environment. I've also found their coach educators and HQ staff to be very good and whilst I realise there is a substantial fee involved in doing coaching courses the full time HQ staff are funded through licence fees / BC membership.
  • And for all their faults the UCI under McQuaid were one of the major ones.

So why didn't Mcquid adhere to the WADA code and prevent Pharmstrong from starting the TDU in 2009 as he hadn't done 6 months pre-competiton testing ?

If that isn't corrupt I really don't know what it. Mcquiad is a corrupt scheming scumbag who deserves to be hounded out of the sport just like Pharmstrong.

Steve,
    I find reading your posts with you taking the high ground about right & wrong fascinating but somewhat hypocritical. When you say, I quote "If that isn't corrupt I really don't know what is" I can help you out. To me a corrupt scumbag is someone who takes money for an item on a sale forum run on trust & then ignores all requests for the money back, even when the seller has admitted he hadn't sent the item. What do you think?

exercise.png
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Not the place guys...
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Agreed, stick any grievance in buyer/seller feedback in the classifieds.
  • Sorry guys, you are right, this is not the place. Just let frustration get the better of me.
    On topic, shouldn't we be throwing our support behind British cycling as it seems to be a guiding light in all the murk surrounding cycling at the moment. If we pull our support will it not seem like we are simply losing faith in cycling in general?
    For all the wrong that the UCI may have done we should look to the future or we will be forever stuck in the past.

exercise.png