Refreshing Handjob

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited November 2015 in Your mountain bikes
I have brought my old Cove Handjob (2006 edition I seem to recall) to Canada with me following a recent trip home. Plan is to rebuild it, respray it and give it a new lease of life.

This is how it looked a couple of years back (not ridden much since then as it sbeen in UK and I have been in BC)
IMG_0221.jpg

Here's how it looks out of its shipping packing
IMG_0958.jpg

Spec wise we are looking at some pretty high end stuff!
Frame - Cove Handjob XC 16"
Fork - Marz MX Comp ETA 2003
F Brake - Hope M4 Braided Hose
R Brake - Magura Julie
Cranks - Deore Hollowtech 2
Rear Mech - Shimano LX long cage
Front Mech - Shimano Deore
Shifters - Deore
Seatpost - Race Face Evolve XC
Saddle - SDG Bel Air
Stem - Club Roost Conrod
Bar - Easton EA70
Grips - Worn Tokens
Wheels - pretty buckled
Tyres - pretty worn

So I am thinking:

Strip and respray
XT 10 spd groupset
Wheelset (not sure - Hope 2 with Crest?)
XT brakes
RS Recon U turn forks off my Heckler
Gravity Droper Post

Colour wise I am thinking either yellow, green or orange (all with black finishing kit).

Thoughts?
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Team green Kawasaki..
  • paul.skibum
    http://www.advanced-metal.com/colors.html

RAL 2005 - orange
    Or
    RAL 1026 - Yellow
    or
    RAL 6032 - Signal Green /RAL 2011 Deep Orange (from http://www.hanepowdercoating.co.uk/ral-colour-chart.php)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Purple......metallic of course. Looks like it will be a nice bike....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    The plan is to consolidate my biking a bit - I currently have the Handjob, 2001 Heckler and 2009 Big Hit. I figure my main riding is trails/all mountain with the occassional bike park day so I am going to sell the Heckler and the Big Hit and get an all mountain bike capable of standing occassional bike park days.

I have ridden the heckler in the park and its ok with most of what I ride, a bit out of its depth on the blacks and a bit too flexy for the berm to berm trails.

So the Handjob is going to be winter trail riding and for those days I cant be bothered to haul an AM bike up the hills. Plus it is still a firm favourite of mine to ride (did the Marin Trail on it 2 weeks back and it was just great, wobbly wheels and all!)
  • paul.skibum
    Purple......metallic of course. Looks like it will be a nice bike....

I was considering RAL 4011 from the first link (Metallic signal violet I think)........
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I presume an additional motivation for doing this bike up was to allow you to create a thread with this title.

Which is completely valid.

Look forward to seeing it refreshed!
  • I much prefer the look of the older model Handjobs than the newer because i prefer the seat-stays in line with the TT. Ive always liked the pixie blue they did, so my choice would be RAL6027. However, of the choices you present, personally id go for the green.
  • paul.skibum
    Not a big fan of that pale blue. Got an email out to the local company to check on colour availability.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I say orange. Looking forward to seeing this done, I love those frames :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    Orange gets my vote as well
  • paul.skibum
    Orange it will be I think, powdercoaters have confirmed they have the orange (2011) in stock.

Stripped averything bar one stubborn BB cup and the heatset cups off last night, decals and odd bits of tape covering bare metal bits peeled off and she is ready to head off for blasting and coating......photos in due course....
  • paul.skibum
    So after a quick budget re-assessment I am looking at:

SLX groupset and brakes
    FSA Orbit XL2 Headset
    Crest on switch evo in black from Superstar
    Race face stem and bars
    Probably keep my old RF seat post for time being - gravity dropper will follow eventually
    Still uncertain on the forks - if I sell my heckler it might be better with its U turn fork on it so I either buy a new fork or stick with the old faithful bomber.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Any updates yet!

I know a bloke who is selling a mint set of revelations in back 140mm travel
  • paul.skibum
    I am dropping it into the powdercoaters tomorrow - got a before shot so when I have an after as well I will get them on here. Not sure how long its going to take to get back.

Revs at 140 would be far too much for what was a 100mm recommended travel frame. The new ones are 115mm so I am figuring my version might be good for that but its such a sweet handler at 100mm I will prob stick to that.
  • paul.skibum
    So a RAL 2004 (Orange) with glitter clear coat is being applied - should get it back Sat week, people doing the work showed me frankly vast varieties of colours and finishes that were all order in but they could do the colour I orginally picked and a clear coat finish pretty much straight off so I went for that. The range of colours available for powder coating are endless its amazing!
  • paul.skibum
    So after something of a delay caused by illness at the powder shop and then work interfering with my ability to pick up the bike then a misplaced facing tool, my frame is back from the powdercoating.

Before:
    th_IMG_0965_zps1433882f.jpg

After:
    th_IMG_0978_zps13666148.jpg

th_IMG_0975_zpsc78a176e.jpg

th_IMG_0977_zpsde7caea1.jpg

It's really nicely finished. Very happy with it.

I am not hurrying to build it due to the white stuff in the first photo inhibiting riding but I am planning to order the parts after new year and get into it. Target finish date is mid March for spring riding in the valley!
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Progress - good
    Thread title - fantastic
  • paul.skibum
    After a 3 plus month hiatus during which time my frame sat on a bookcase looking all forlorn, I finally found time and impetus to get it built.

After some soul and bank searching I decided that my consolidation of my bike collection was going to have to wait. In a change of plans I am back in the UK and riding here and have brought my Handjob back with me. I built it up back in Canada using primarily parts off my Heckler so its not as high spec as originally planned but looks pretty good to me!

IMG_1347_zps92e8da7b.jpg
    IMG_1350_zps01f57436.jpg
    IMG_1348_zps21997419.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    Want to get some Slikgraphics decals for it - mainly the Cove wording for the downtube and the skull for the headtube.

Also need some bottle cage bolts and I am thinking of some new tyres probably in a 2.1 flavour as those make it look like a fat bike !
  • The Rookie
    I'm liking it as it is actually, very understated!

Have plenty of cage bolts, flyweight nylon or lightweight stainless steel if you want to mount a cage, drop me a PM if you want a pair cheap.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    Went into Crank Cyles in Alton and the very friendly chap in there gave me an old tube to make a chainstay protector and 4 bolts to fill the bottle mounts. I bought a fender bender for the coming weekend in Wales but looks like the rain might hold off!
  • paul.skibum
    Some updates for the hardtail

Its will be getting the SLX drivetrain off my Bronson and going 1x10 shortly. I bought a 36t narrow wide which combined with the 11-36 cassette will suit easy valley trails in Whistler whilst still giving road top end. Will fit a bashguard as the ring is a little bigger but its a shame to hide the Raceface ring as its kinda nice looking.

WP_20140726_003_zpsf6f091b4.jpg

Awaiting that CRC delivery now - should be here midweek....
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Nice handjob!
  • paul.skibum
    Getting bored waiting for my CRC order to make its way through customs so I can 1x10 my Bronson and trickle down the parts from it to the Cove so decided to chuck the Raceface NW ring on the Cove now and run it 1x9 for the time being.

Chain set had been 2x9 with retainer device and bash for a while now:
    IMG_2463640x480_zps62b15b29.jpg

Bars suitably cluttered:
    IMG_2464640x480_zpsae9ee975.jpg

Whipped off the 2 old chainrings, mech, chain retention device and shifter - total weight 444g including cables and chainring bolts. Chucked on 36t NW (weight - 50g) for a total saving of 394g.

IMG_2466640x480_zpsbf83eab0.jpg

IMG_2467640x480_zps0113a44a.jpg

IMG_2469640x480_zpsb5e3385a.jpg

Will ride to work on her tonight and see how it feels and works - bench test suggests quieter gears and good chain alignment.
  • paul.skibum
    Road ride in to work and she runs smooth - gear ratio is easy for road 36t to 11t gives a decent amount of grunt on my commute and never needed anything beyond the 15t - ran it through thte rear cog twice in both directions just to check shifting and chain retention, all good and didnt shake the chain off dropping it off a well gnarly kerb!
  • The Rookie
    Nice mods, looking like a sweet fire road + bike...if it's 1x9 isn't that a 34 largest on the rear?
  • paul.skibum
    Was a 9 speed but I upgraded the Bronson to XT mech and cassette when I went 1x10 on there so the SLX 10 speed kit trickled down to the Handjob. Still a great ride, will probably see some use early winter once my thumb is better.
  • paul.skibum
    Couple of winter "upgrades" for the hardtail - made myself some DIY snow tyres for winter trails and commuting - grabbed some old used tyres off a mate and chucked a number of 5/8 and 3/4 screws through the nobbies, lined them with a sliced inner tube and voila - job done. The front is a High Roller DH casing so on the bike with the screws and liner it weighs a ton. The rear is a Nobby Nic folding bead.

The front had a little contact with the fork arch but I trimmed the screws with a pair of side cutters and its good now - noisy as hell on the road but seems to work well enough. Considered the DH for the rear but it definitely would have interferred with the frame.

Also chucked a light on the bars - basic chinese number, got the same one on my lid. All set to go!

WP_20151117_004_zpsxt3ct7wt.jpg

WP_20151117_003_zpsdifb4ceb.jpg

WP_20151117_002_zpssnmj4c2h.jpg