Some advice on bike spec (insurance related)

stiscooby
stiscooby Posts: 139
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

I am currently dealing with a claim to replace my stolen bike (was a Mongoose Tyax Elite 2010 about 18 months old).

They came back to me to say the equivalent bike they would offer would be a Voodoo Bantu. I had a look at this bike in a local Halfords store and wasn't that keen on it although from looking on here they don’t seem to be bad bikes?? However, I have been told (when asking at a local bike shop) that the brakes on my original bike are better than what’s on the Bantu but the Voodoo Hoodoo has the same brakes as my old bike so I tried my luck and tried to push for the Hoodoo but they (company dealing with claim) said the Bantu has Shimano brakes which are better than Tektro Aigura Comp's which were fitted on my Mongoose........ now are they feeding me a line or is this quite true/not much in it???

They also tell me the Bantu has more or less better everything else on it than my Mongoose too, regardless if the breaks are better or not, is this true?

I'm not trying to pull a fast one, at the end of the day I just want a bike up to spec of my stolen one :cry:

The company dealing with the claim have also told me that they will give me a voucher for £399 (for current price of Voodoo Bantu) but I have to buy a bike from Halfords, regardless if it's the bantu or not (I can add more money to get a better bike if I like). I said I don't want a bike from Halfords but they have said if that’s the case then the insurance company themselves (Direct Line) will pay out to me directly but I will lose £100 or so of the payment due to the way it's done!?!?!? Now what the hell is that about??? :evil:

So if I don't like the Voodoo's it would seem I have to spend the voucher on a cheap piece of cr£p in Halfords or throw another few hundred pound in to get something like a £600+ Boardman??? Is it me or is that unfair??

Any advice on spec/bike etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks (sorry for long post)

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Push back, you should be able to get £400 cash to buy what you want.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Njee is right, they should replace or pay cash, but the option is often theirs, you need to check their wording.
    If they insist on replacing, it should be like for like, or the closest available. If they can't they shouldn't be able to deduct anything.
    You have a few options - a mention of the ombudsman will often get results as most of the time the result will go in your favour.
    BUT be careful
    2011 Mongoose Tyrax Elite - £350
    http://activesport.co.uk/shop/article_B ... ml?pse=coa

Two reasons you wouldn't want that
    - the spec is better on the Bantu
    - Mark Anthony is a bit dicey (do a forum search)

Personally I'd take the Bantu

2nd opinion from the man his self

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12875967
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stiscooby
    njee20 wrote:
    Push back, you should be able to get £400 cash to buy what you want.

Not just me thinking that then!

Any idea with regards to spec of the mention bikes?
  • cooldad
    ps and if it comes down to brakes, I'd take the Shimano any day.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stiscooby
    cooldad wrote:
    ps and if it comes down to brakes, I'd take the Shimano any day.

Thanks for the comments so far, much appreciated.

My bike was the 2010 not the 2011 so not sure if there is/was much difference between those?

Ok, so the bantu is a fair deal then? If it came down to having to get something from Halfrauds I think I would put another £80 ish in the pot and get the Hoodoo (would REALLY like the boardman comp but don't think I could justify £650 ish on one?). Although I will try and fight it out so I can get something from somewhere else e.g a Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 maybe as I believe these are good value & spec and not a Halfords bike?
  • cooldad
    It's the best bike on the market at that price. Not my opinion but the immortal Supersonic.
    And even Chuck Norris thinks twice before arguing with SS about budget kit.

You seem hung up about Halfords. It's not a 'Halfords' bike, Halfords sell them. And I'd far rather buy from Halfords than Mark Anthony/Activesport.

And if you're stressed, read to the end of this thread. Halfords are the good guys.
    viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=12727322&start=20

ps I do not work for Halfords and don't ride a Voodoo.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stiscooby
    cooldad wrote:
    It's the best bike on the market at that price. Not my opinion but the immortal Supersonic.
    And even Chuck Norris thinks twice before arguing with SS about budget kit.

You seem hung up about Halfords. It's not a 'Halfords' bike, Halfords sell them. And I'd far rather buy from Halfords than Mark Anthony/Activesport.

And if you're stressed, read to the end of this thread. Halfords are the good guys.
    viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=12727322&start=20

ps I do not work for Halfords and don't ride a Voodoo.

When you say "it’s the best bike for the money" which bike you talking about, the Bantu, Hoodoo or the Boardman?

lol, it's just each time (and it's only been a few) that I have been in my local Halfords people are in there complaining about their new bikes falling apart...... plus the shop seems to be run by kids who don't seem to have a clue?

If I end up in Halfords and go for a Voodoo, will paying the extra £80 for the Hoodoo be worth it?

That guy in the thread you mentioned was well lucky with his Boardman frame, that store clearly has a good manager!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    2nd opinion from the man his self

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12875967
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bantu is great for the money. It is at least the equal of the Tyax, definitely a better fork. Seems a good offer to me. Most other £400 bikes are poor.
  • stiscooby
    supersonic wrote:
    Bantu is great for the money. It is at least the equal of the Tyax, definitely a better fork. Seems a good offer to me. Most other £400 bikes are poor.

Would the Hoodoo be worth the extra £80 or so?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Hoodoo would be well worth the extra.

The Tektro's are 'on paper' better than the Shimano's (higher up the relative food chains and also from memory more expensive to buy), but I'd take the Shimano's any day of the week!

Brake opinion, Shimano have a habit of making even the non label stuff feel like it is an XT even if it's heavier, most others have the habit of making their most expensive brake feel like it is their cheapest......(are you listening Avid?)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools