6 speed wheels - any left?

matt21
matt21 Posts: 71
edited October 2012 in Workshop
Hi all

I expect this one's been done to death but can anyone suggest a reasonably priced wheelset for a shimano 6 speed screw on freewheel. I'm trying to do up an old 1980s Raleigh touriste and can't find anything suitable - It's a 126mm rear frame and I don't want to change it.
Thanks in advance....

Comments

• maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    I have a 126mm width screw-on 700c rear wheel - new it is a Mach CFX rim. I got it made for a customer who then found they had measured the drop out width incorrectly. I can sell it for £15 plus P&P. If you'd like a photo of it send me a PM and will oblige. :D
  • Shame for the reasonably priced... Phil Wood still makes 126 mm rear hubs for freewheel and they cost way way less than the 130 mm freehub ones for essentially the same thing... worth a punt for a quality restoration project
    left the forum March 2023
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Decathlon do rear narrow rim 700c wheels which take a screw on freewheel. They are only about £30.just buy a new hollow axle off ebay if you want a perfect fit for your rear dropouts-think the correct one for 126mm oln has total length of 135mm but check with seller.they are only £6.or do what a lot of people do and just spring open your rear dropouts-a modern 130mm rear axle wheel WILL fit your old frame.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Recently bought some Zenith 126mm threaded hubs for 6 speed freewheels for a wheel build. Cheap too at £15/pair and are not too bad considering the price and after spending a couple of minutes with the cone spanners setting them up properly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • matt21
    matt21 Posts: 71
    What about if I moved to a 130mm? There still seems to be little available for a 6/7 speed or am I just looking in the wrong places?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You're looking in the wrong places. 6 and 7 speed hubs are readily available, I build with them. I have also turned a 6 speed hub into a 5 speed one. It's all doable for little cost.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.