Upgrading cassette, chainset and mechs

Finlaz22
Finlaz22 Posts: 169
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if any more experienced cyclists would be able to confirm that if I want to upgrade my cassette, for instance (currently running on a 8spd) to a 10 spd I would then have to also upgrade rear mech and shifters etc too? Pretty certain it's all interchangeable as long as it's same spd, just wanted to check - e.g. 7/8/9 are all so close it's no biggie?

Just trying to work out costs if I were to upgrade it, thanks! :)

Comments

• Many of the parts are interchangeable, but even if your 8 speed derailleur had the range to handle a 10 speed cassette (having never tried this myself), you would still need a new chain and chainrings as well as shifters. I'm not sure if an 8 speed derailleur would work with a 9 speed cassette, but I'm not sure why you would want to make the upgrade unless the bike is really worth it!
  • Finlaz22
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah it's a long term idea, and something I'm a bit tentative with - costing near £500 to upgrade to a groupset that will actually make a difference is ridiculous money for a student. Looking at new tyres, and poss a new wheelset in the not-too-distant future is more affordable value imo :)
  • Indeed; much better idea. :)
  • greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    You havent said why you want to upgrade? Better shifting? More gears? What is it? :shock:

And what bike have you got? No point spending the best part of £500 improving stuff if the frame is a 'Luv-U-Longtime' job from Bangkok.

You cant polish a turd, so have a good think about it.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I've got an 8 speed cassette on my winter bike (09 Allez double - 53x39). I found that the original 12-15 cassette left me struggling on some hills so I just changed to a MTB cassette and medium cage sora rear mech. About £50 for all that. Doesnt leave you with the crispest of changes but good enough
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    simona75 wrote:
    I've got an 8 speed cassette on my winter bike (09 Allez double - 53x39). I found that the original 12-15 cassette left me struggling on some hills

I'm not surprised, I would be struggling on a 39/15 bottom gear on the hills as well :D

... I presume you mean 12-25

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Its cassette range that gives you benefit, not the number of sprockets in it. My bike is a 7 speed and using sprockets from 8 and 9 speed cassettes I made up a 7 speed cassette 13-14-16-18-21-24-28. You need to consider sprocket width and spacer width to ensure the right sprocket-to-sprocket centre dimensions for your shifters (4.8mm for Shimano 8 speed).

http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.shtml
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Finlaz22
    greentea wrote:
    You havent said why you want to upgrade? Better shifting? More gears? What is it? :shock:

And what bike have you got? No point spending the best part of £500 improving stuff if the frame is a 'Luv-U-Longtime' job from Bangkok.

Bit of both really. Could definitely do with a larger range for hill climbs, and also gear shifting could be crisper. But like I said above, it's fairly hypothetical but would be good to know for future reference.

As for my frame it's a spesh alu 11 model with carbon forks. Does the job and is light, but obviously not worth upgrading for around £500. Cheaper alternatives could involve a bit of ebay buying but it's a bit hit and miss really. Like I said above, tyres and wheels are much more viable in terms of money so that's the short-term project 8)
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    You could change to 10 sd for well under 200 quid, 105 5700 £100 ish (viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12886281) new cassettte 105 12-27 £30, new chain £20, you may need a new RD, but try what you have first and see if it works.
  • greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    greentea wrote:

Bit of both really. Could definitely do with a larger range for hill climbs, and also gear shifting could be crisper. But like I said above, it's fairly hypothetical but would be good to know for future reference.

As for my frame it's a spesh alu 11 model with carbon forks. Does the job and is light, but obviously not worth upgrading for around £500. Cheaper alternatives could involve a bit of ebay buying but it's a bit hit and miss really. Like I said above, tyres and wheels are much more viable in terms of money so that's the short-term project 8)

Nothing wrong with that frame son. Knock yourself out, upgrade.

You really want a 10-speed set though. The new Sora wouldnt cost the earth and neither would the new Tiagra groupset. Have a look at this

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/1 ... n=pid19000

You'll get extra gears and the ability to climb better in one swoop, so have a root about online it neednt cost £500.

Tyres and wheels are good upgrades and cheaper but bear in mind it will be more for comfort. Decent rubber wont haul your ass up a hill better than new gears.
  • I upgraded from 8 speed to 10 speed about 4 years. Needed new STI levers and cassette. Continued to use the existing Rear Derailleur and Chainset, it run really smoothly and changes were sweet. I fitted a new chain as the old one was a bit stretched but it may not be necessary. If your existing 8 speed cassette has the same big gear, ie 26T, as the new cassette then provided the chain is relatively new with little wear I would try it and see.
    If the big gear has more teeth then you'll need a new chain as this will be the correct length for a 26T cassette and will stretch the Rear Mech too much.
    If you fit the old chain and get clipping from the cassette and chain then the chain is already stretched and you need a new one.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • Finlaz22
    Some great advice, thanks guys :)

Cheers greentea, is Tiagra worth the £300 or so to upgrade from shimano 2300 which I've currently got? Or would you recommend saving up and get 10 spd 105? It's just handy to know the difference in quality in your opinion - like 2300 to 105 or ultegra is a big leap, but 2300 to tiagra hmmm :?: