FOX Coil: In between sizes

yossarian_lives
yossarian_lives Posts: 14
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
I have a FOX 36 Van R fork, fitted with the default spring (Blue).

The manual says this is for riders weighing 150 pounds plus. With my helmet and protection i think i just scrape to 150 pounds.

I feel like the bike isnt using its full 160 mm travel however, so i'm trying to decide if i should pay to get a coil with the lower spring rate. Has anyone been in this position. and can give advice?

if you're in between sizes, is it better to go with the lower or higher spring rate?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Apologies, i should add that ive adjusted the preload as far as it will go..
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    How much sag are you running. This is the best indication of whether you have the right spring.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Apologies, i should add that ive adjusted the preload as far as it will go..
    as above and wind the preload out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • With my weight on the handlebars i can get to 24mm - firm according to the manual, but its less than that when im in a more natural stance.

If the sag is true indicator, it seems i need to fork out on either a new coil, or 20 pies...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    With my weight on the handlebars i can get to 24mm - firm according to the manual, but its less than that when im in a more natural stance.

If the sag is true indicator, it seems i need to fork out on either a new coil, or 20 pies...
    sag is set in your normal standing riding position.

and i would not really thing about changing yet as the seals bushes need to bed in. and you say it does not feel like. have you measured it over a ride? rubber ring or ziptie on a leg. see how much you are using when it is all bedded in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've been out before, but weather permitting i'll give it a good pasting at Aston Hill this weekend, and will see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    weather permitting
    How do you ask the weathers permission?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • weather permitting
    How do you ask the weathers permission?

I normally just email it