I miss riding.

maboo
maboo Posts: 16
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi just wondered wether any had recoverd from a slipped disc requiring surgery, to live a full mountain biking life. The doctor didnt really have a timescale for going off road, but he advises runners to lay of the heavy pounding :oops: for 6mths , any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've had a slipped disc for the last 25 years, but decided not to have surgery and just live with the occasional pain, I used to have it put back in place now and again but it hasn't popped out for a while now.
    So I guess that's not really helpful.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I thought the title reflected a 'lifestyle change'.......

Depends on your riding I think, certainly with clever riding you don't get the repeated shock impacts you get with running, so if your running a 150mm FS you could get back on earlier, likewise if you can keep out the saddle on an HT, but unless you can count on it, its a risk....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Just do what your surgeon tells you.

You'll miss it a lot more if you rush back into it and end up in a position where you can't do it anymore, ever.
  • I've had a double disc excision; what I gave up was football not riding.
  • maboo
    maboo Posts: 16
    You'll miss it a lot more if you rush back into it and end up in a position where you can't do it anymore, ever.

thats what i'm most worried about, surgeon recommended geentle riding after 6 weeks, suppose i'll just wait till spring for the bumpier stuff
    cooldad wrote:
    I've had a slipped disc for the last 25 years, but decided not to have surgery and just live with the occasional pain, I used to have it put back in place now and again but it hasn't popped out for a while now.

unfortunately for me surgery was the only option. I went to various drs, chiropractor and osteopath, all said it was ligament or muscle damage. Eventually sciatica made it impossible to walk, so went private and here i am now
  • Vegman
    Vegman Posts: 35
    In the great sceme of things six weeks, six months, two years, Its really not a biggie, I totaly fooked a knee skiing (helicoptered off the mountain etc) 10/11 years ago, listen to the expert as long as he is one. and rebuild your fitness, I still ski (a little more carefully and with a knee brace but still enjoy), I no longer ride horses, too much conflict on the bridlepaths, LOL Ha Ha... no not realy, fell of a 18hh Bstard at full tilt. Horseriding = very steep rocky rooty chalky wet dh run on slick tyres!!! (with pools of mud and 4 ft drop rock gardns thrown in for good measure) . I had years of lessons and jumped and did dressage etc, bstards still have a warped mind of there own rant rant. Bikes... I hope I'll have shimano hubs on the wheels of my coffin.
    A bike..in my garage.....I MUST tinker.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I had a keyhole diskectomy on my S1/L5 disk, plus a procedure a bit like going round the relevant gap in my spine with a de-burring bit, way way back in 2006, having had sciatica so bad I could hardly walk for the whole year before: I was back on my feet in 24 hours, and it's been a constant improvement ever since. Don't hurry it, and it will be OK for riding bumpy trails - these days I come back with most other parts of me aching but my back fine
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er