Cleat Positioning

ar24
ar24 Posts: 17
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I have my cleats as high up to the toe as they go with the cleat aligned dead straight. How do you guys have your cleats positioned?

Secondly, do you think there is an optimum position for the cleat to be fixed to the shoe or is it just a matter of preference?

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    mine are set just rear of centre so the ball of my foot is on the middle of the pedal (i'm told thats the most comfortable and efficient position), the cleat is shifted to the inside of the shoe so my shoe does not keep brushing against the crank arm, and its rotated a fraction round so my feet toe-out just a tiny amount. Totally differnt to you then. As are my feet.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Most people find the best position is to have the ball of the foot over the peal spindle. However some differ. What ever happens, it's best to be comfortable.

I ve found Road cleats to be much much harder to get right than MTB (spd) cleats. I'm still not quite happy with mine nearly 4 months later, but most of the MTB shoes I ve got I ve hardly ever moved from day 1!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I had one of these done at my LBS at the start of the year. It was worth it.

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/all/look-cy ... o-fit.html
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    My Cleat is usually in the Bottom Bracket.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Sprool wrote:
    mine are set just rear of centre so the ball of my foot is on the middle of the pedal (i'm told thats the most comfortable and efficient position), the cleat is shifted to the inside of the shoe so my shoe does not keep brushing against the crank arm, and its rotated a fraction round so my feet toe-out just a tiny amount. Totally differnt to you then. As are my feet.
    +1
    2014 Ribble Gran Fondo
    2009 Rockhopper Comp