Morzine 2013 info

ben306
ben306 Posts: 64
edited November 2012 in Holidays
Thinking of heading down to Morzine at the end of june 2013. Having never been, and the lad I ride with had never been so we are looking for advise.

Cost of lifts, best places to go, costs of accommodation etc etc.

We've looked and if flights are booked early they are cheap enough but we are thinking of driving it so whats it like on toll roads etc, or best missing them and taking it easy, bit of a road trip.

Just after as much info as possible to start to get an idea and what not.

Comments

• Speak to Amy ay treeline chalets, she has been running holidays in Morzine for years and is a fountain of knowledge. She is on 07523269688 or check out the summer section of her website treelinechalets.com
    I wish I was Kenny "F@#king" Powers
  • I went to Portes du Soleil, Morzine this year for the first time during the PPdS weekend and loved it.

We drove down which takes over 8hrs from Calais, nice and easy driving but a fair distance and costs quite a bit in fuel and tolls. Think it was around 700 miles from Calais and we filled up 3 times on the way there, plus tolls were about £80 each way. Although the road trip was cool, we agreed that prob best to fly next time as you save 2 days effectively and would work out pretty cheap flying. Maybe £80 each way + £30 to take your bike + £25 transfer to Morzine.

We used a company called Mountain Highs to book our apartment(Les Drus 2) and would recommend them, although there not a biking holiday company the apartment had a secure garage to leave the bikes and gear. Was a 3 Bedroom, 3 Bathroom apartment with lounge and kitchen including Sky Tv and WiFi for about £650 for the week, which is nothing when split down.

Lift passes were about £20 a day i think, possibly cheaper if you buy a week. They allow you to go anywhere in the Portes du Soleil region, which includes Morzine, Les Gets, Morgins, Chatel, Avoriaz, etc... There are some great routes over at Les Gets and some bike parks at Chatel and Morgins.

I would recommend going on the PPdS weekend, it does make the place busier and might have a little longer wait at the lifts but it adds to the atmosphere and the bike show comes to town, in 2013 I think its in Chatel, check it out http://www.passportesdusoleil.com/ Worth every cent even if you don't do the course for 45 euros, includes a days lift pass for your designated day, another lift pass to use on another day, plus all the food and beer you can drink. :)
  • Kaz_S
    Kaz_S Posts: 22
    I have been to Morzine a few times now, always stay with hofnar (www.hofnar.com) who are absolute gems! You only need to read the reviews to get a sense of their ethos.

I have always driven down, never trusted an airline with my bike! However next year we are looking to fly, and use http://www.deliveriestothealps.co.uk/ to get the bikes out there, pricing for bikes is the same as ski equipment, so it will work out cheaper and easier than driving.

Although driving does have its benefits, we timed our holiday to fall on the DH world cup in Val D'isere, so drove down to watch the pro's after a weeks riding which was pretty epic.
    Giant Trance and Specialized Allez