Poll: should Pat McQuaid resign?

ilm_zero7
ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
edited October 2012 in Pro race
In all this name calling between Hamilton, Millar and Pat McQuaid - is it now the UCI who are at fault, rather than individual riders?
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

Comments

• interesting article here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mercier ... at-mcquaid
    he is right in saying
    "Just as in politics they say 'it's the cover-up not the crime'
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I guess Pat has got the shredder and Tippex doing overtime and the mo.

Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • For me, this has been one of the worst aspects of the whole sorry business. This sport can only sort itself out from the top down. It's not acceptable for the men at the top to just shake their heads, mutter a few platitudes and then carry on with the expense lunches etc as though nothing major happened.
    Oh yeah, nearly forgot. He should go.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ok, he goes tomorrow. There's no credible plan in place, there is a power void and the most powerful will grab it.

Welcome UCI President Makarov.

Yes, there needs to be a shake up, but it needs to be planned properly and excuted well.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I've just read his nonsense from yesterday... why are they so consistent in shooting themselves in the foot?

After the presser, I was tranquillo, he didn't go full masochism, but he was never going to. Now he seems to want to have his cake (credit for getting rid of Armstrong) and eat it (destroy USADA's credibility and implicate them in any appeal) reinforcing his position as king of cycling.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • the sooner he goes the better - if only to get his whining excuses for a lack of action off the airwaves - it is so telling the UCI couldnt act until USADA did their stuff, yet they are meant to be the policing force of cycling, and someone else had to do their dirty work
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Caught helplessly between criticism from WADA and USADA and his inability to face up to the issues, I cannot see any way that the man can move forward in any meaningful way...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Here's a thought though... Has he called anyone a pleb?
  • ilm_zero7
    READ THIS
    Open Letter to Pat McQuaid from Greg LeMond

http://www.steephill.tv/2012/usada-lanc ... etter.html

oh how true!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    iainf72 wrote:
    Ok, he goes tomorrow. There's no credible plan in place, there is a power void and the most powerful will grab it.

Yes, there needs to be a shake up, but it needs to be planned properly and excuted well.

You keep throwing this out there as though this would be a catastrophe. Assuming he severed his ties with Katusha, how exactly would this be worse than what we currently have?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited October 2012
    DeadCalm wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You keep throwing this out there as though this would be a catastrophe. Assuming he severed his ties with Katusha, how exactly would this be worse than what we currently have?

Well, I'd say that anyone who thinks that Katusha is a clean team is living in la-la land. Dont think that makes the owner a fit person to head up the UCI.

Sorry, correction, I should say a fit person to head up the UCI that we want in the best interests of cycling.
  • ilm_zero7
    yes, but if you remove the leadership, wouldn't you end up with an impotent, unfocussed, and ineffective body in no control of the governance of the sport?.... oh hang on! isn't that what we have had for years now?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Well, I'd say that anyone who thinks that Katusha is a clean team is living in la-la land. Dont think that makes the owner a fit person to head up the UCI.
    He'd not be my first choice either although I doubt very much that he's directly involved in any doping at Katusha. It's just Iain has used his name on a couple of occasions to suggest that McQuaid should stay as he is the lesser of two evils. I don't see it. In view of Fat Pat's recent utterances I'm now inclined to believe that Makarov would actually be the lesser evil.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:

And you trust Pat to plan this? He will continue to do what he has always done, survive.

I think he probably needs to step down within a defined timeframe, say 6 months, to allow a successor to be identified and brought in. But it needs to a definite commitment to leaving.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.