new bike what now?

spr wheelie
spr wheelie Posts: 110
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
just got my new bike a norco sight 3 se.

the what now is go and get the bugger dirty tommorow, cant come quick enough, but is there anything i need to do to my new baby before i go straight out.

im assuming set the fork and shock pressure to my weight but anything else.

i see the drivetrains got a grease type pres stuff on it. do i wash this off then lube it or just lube it straight away.

cheers for reading
sight 3 se

Comments

• also for transporting with the hyro discs can i do anything to prevent acidently pulling the brakes when the wheels are off as i got told that would un set the pads.
    sight 3 se
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    also for transporting with the hyro discs can i do anything to prevent acidently pulling the brakes when the wheels are off as i got told that would un set the pads.

You should have (or be able to get) some little plastic things that go between the discs whilst travelling.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    also for transporting with the hyro discs can i do anything to prevent acidently pulling the brakes when the wheels are off as i got told that would un set the pads.

You should have (or be able to get) some little plastic things that go between the discs whilst travelling.

Or, a 1 euro coin works well, if you happen to have one lying around.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Avid pad spreaders are great for what you describe, or just don't pull the lever!

I'd apply a wet lube to the chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I throw my bike in the car all the time and have never once considered putting something in the discs, its just not an issue. Even if you do manage to pull the lever by accident, the pads should retract enough to get the disc in.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless you have Avids....if so no they won't!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cheers for all the advice. just got to throw him into nursary now and get it loaded up.
    cheers
    sight 3 se