Rear Hub...

nasha48
nasha48 Posts: 231
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi. Currently nursing through my rear hub on my Boardman FS which is really past it's sell by date. Been looking at the tasty Hope Pro Evo 2 but it is pretty expensive (for me anyway!). Also see that DT do a fair range of sealed bearing hubs but they seem generally quite steep too. Just really after some experienced advice on whether others think its worth shelling out around £130 for the Hope or whether others such as Octane etc may give me a decent return in reliability and performance. Ride a fair bit in the muddy/clay/silty New Forest which is part of reason my existing hubs keep getting crap in them. Finally, I currently have standard 10mm rear DO's with QR skewer - go for the same again or worth having new bolt up on new hub? Looking at some new Mavic rims too (need to take min of 2.3 tyres) - any advice?
Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    forget getting a new hub look at a new wheel or pair of wheels.

changing the hub is not worth the cost.

but what is really wrong with the hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Hope hubs are lovely, but if you do not want the cassette to eat the free hub, go for a steel free hub.

As above, go for a wheelset.
  • nasha48
    Right cheers. So something like a factory build Hope Hoops job perhaps? I did have a quick look into a custom build wheel on CRC but still need to ensure the hub is gonna last for the money spent. I did read somewhere something along the lines of "avoid all factory built 32 spoke wheels" - I assume this is not at all true?

The existing hub keeps costing me money for servicing at LBS after only a few rides or so in shitty conditions. Last visit I was told that the free hub is extremely "dry" and although I could lube it up it would rapidly deteriorate and I should look quickly at getting a sealed bearing hub. I've just ordered a cone spanner set so I can get into the hub and try to keep it going for perhaps a few months but it grinds regularly, doesn't engage very rapidly and the cones seem to loosen off easily too. I suppose it's done circa 2500 miles. I'm not a jumper and don't go crazy on DH sections but do want a half decent rear wheel that I can rely on, is semi strong, lightish and won't keep costing me maintenance at LBS.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the hub you have now is sealed. a hope one is no better sealed.
    bearings for hope hubs cost more than balls and cone for a Cone and cup sealed hub

if the cones are loosening off the person doing the work sucks. Find a mechanic or learn how to do it yourself.

read parktools and sheldons pages.

hell my Cone and Cup bearings lasted for years and they were road one. yes that is what we used back in the `70s as that was all there was.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nasha48
    Cheers, interesting. Yeh agree with cone tightening, haven't always had faith with those doing it for me which is exactly why I'm looking into doing it myself.

So how is so much crap getting into my hub assembly to cause such a regular rubbing sound (it's permanent, but worse when freewheeling)?

I hear you re Hope bearing costs but from reading reviews sounds like bearing replacement wouldn't be all that often?

Any decent alternative to Mavic rims? My existing Ritchey OCR rims seem to have held up pretty well over the last couple of years despite the odd heavy hit but, as I say, I'm more of a XC rider really. Cheers for swift responses, appreciated.