Free day for riding! Where is riding well whilst wet?

andymc06
andymc06 Posts: 245
edited November 2012 in Routes
As above. Got a whole day to myself next Wednesday. Which locations are riding well in the wet? I'm in Farnborough, Hants. Anywhere within an hour or so would be best. Haven't tried QECP yet and will defo give it a go if dryish but I hear it's not at it's best in wet conditions.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Andy
If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tunnel Hill area drains fairly well
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Swinley gets muddy but rides ok despite it, and trails like Seagull,tank traps and Stickler barely change at all. It needs a monsoon before it becomes unrideable, just expect to get a lot of mud splatter.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • andymc06
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a Tunnel Hill local and a regular at Swinley. Both decent suggestions if you avoid the truly boggy areas (especially the Swinley bogfest!). Looking to do something a little different for a bit of change. I might go and explore the Surrey Hills a bit but last time I went almost all the trails were swamped on Pitch Hill.

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • benpinnick
    Lol. I avoided saying Surrey hills as its the worst in this weather of the local options! I guess being farnborough based you're also a Minley regular too....
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • andymc06
    Yet to try Minley Ben. Could be a good option. Any tips?

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • benpinnick
    Yeah, the trails are easy enough to follow if you start off right, roughly where in 'boro are you starting out?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Actually, come to think of it, next wednesday afternoon I could be free..... Fancy a ride in Minley?

Oh, and QECP rides terribly in the wet, as does Aston.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Didnt a group go over to Caesars camp, saying it was much better than soggy Swinley when the UK was underwater for much of june/july?
  • benpinnick
    Maybe, but Swinley riding is just a case of knowing where to ride. Lots of Swinley (over 50% I'd say) is almost 100% weatherproof. Other places become terminal bogs. Given there's about 50km of trails, thats still alot of good riding.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • andymc06
    Yeah. Nice one Ben. Let me know where and when. As long as you aren't expecting any kind of race pace! :D

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • apreading
    There is a Gorrick Map of some Minley action here: torq1212_course_web.gif Never been there myself though, so dont know what it is like.

If you are out and about on Wednesday, then I might actually be able to join you guys - what time are you likely to finish though? I have to be at a kids Halloween party, but I dont know what time.
  • benpinnick
    Im easy on start time. I work in farnborough so I'll probably come straight from work. Shall we meet at the Harvester on the way to Fleetor maybe at Fleet pond car park? Is that a good place for you Andymc? Its not the longest loop, maybe 15km so we should be done in 2 hours, can add some play time too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • andymc06
    I'm off all day so the earlier the better for me. Probably easier if we don't have to take lights and then apreading can come along. If you're at work Ben you decide a start time and meeting point. I'm happy with either place.

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • benpinnick
    I was thinking around 1:30 ish to start.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • andymc06
    edited October 2012
    Ideal. Shall we say 1.30 pm. Fleet pond car park? I'll be the angry looking ginger northerner with the Trance. :D

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • benpinnick
    OK, deal. Ill be the southerner in a Grey Skoda Estate with black Santa Cruz Blur LT.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • andymc06
    Sorted. See you then.

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • apreading
    Put me down as a provisional - just need to check what time things kick off at home - I guess not until dark so hopefully OK to join you. Will try and confirm tonight.

If there, I will be the guy with grey (almost white) hair, an audi estate with a coffin on the roof and a Felt hardtail...
  • andymc06
    Ok mate. Let us know.

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • cooldad
    Half term so Damon's off school and I've got the week off. so we can probably make it. I'll add something to London Calling as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    Coolio. Maybe we should change the start point if more north of the M3 types are coming?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    I'm easy, wherever's convenient for you guys. I have one of these new fangled horesless carriage things anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    Ok. Well leave as us. Meet at the fleet pond then.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Sgray
    Sgray Posts: 79
    If you don't mind I might be able to make it on Wednesday. I am unfit, getting old and generally go out on slowish bike rides with my son. I will be in a white Peugot van with a Silver/blue Gary Fisher.
  • cooldad
    Perfect. Old and unfit is good, I won't be the only one.Keep an eye on London Calling in rides as I'll post any updates etc there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • apreading
    I am gonna have to drop out - need to be back in reading by 4pm and I think thats cutting it a bit fine. Flippin' halloween party, grrr!
  • Sgray
    Sgray Posts: 79
    Quick couple of questions, is the parking for Fleet Pond off Cove Road and how much is parking? Also I mainly ride walking distance from my home, so don't usually take anything out on a bike ride. I have got a hydration backpack thing, in which I will put in some spare inner tubes/small pump and I have a bike multi-tool thing. Is there anything else I should bring?

Cheers.
  • andymc06
    Parking is off Cove Road. Sign posted Fleet Pond then over the bridge, turn right and follow to the end. That kit will be fine. Free parking IIRC. See you there. :)

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • benpinnick
    Just in case anyone needs a map.... Wednesday Minley ride, 1:30 in the Fleet pond car park. Access the car park here: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=48 ... &A=Y&Z=115
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • If you are going to be using the gorrick route, you need to use the latest one used this year. As the trails for that one have faded.

minley_torq_2012_actual_route.gif

I ride this route twice a week as im only in cove.
    I might be able to meet, work depending to guide if you want but its not a definate or even meet over there.

In any case.
    O;ympic ridge - be careful of horse chesnuts and the route has been covered in leaves but can be made out if you have a good eye.

Back to front - to the arrow is a bit boggy in places.

Above duck and grouse - after the hill is a bit boggy.

The route is on Strava if you need it.

I shall be over there tomorrow night so can check and give a heads up on bad bits if you like.

You could always combine Minley with Hawley as there is a 10k loop in there used for an enduro last month.