SRAM XX BB cup removal?

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,171
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Bottom bracket is BB30 and I need to replace the bearings in the BB cups, failing that replace the BB cups.

The chainset is SRAM XX and despite googling, I have not been able to find a set of BB cups like the ones fitted, closest ones being these, but mine are more tapered at the ends:

Am I correct in saying that the cups are pressed in, no circlips or anything else involved - so what is best way to remove them?

Place a metal bar against the inside of the race and tap out with a hammer? Not sure that a puller would work as this would need to rest on the carbon BB.

17589_i_1.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics of what YOU actually have.

the pic you show is of some BB30 reducers used with BB30 bearings.

See Parktools for BB30 removal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    Will get photos up but I think I know the answer. These cups spin so that would imply they are adapters that fit into the bearing race so these ought to be drifted out followed by a second drifting out of the bearings themselves.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    02GF74 wrote:
    Will get photos up but I think I know the answer. These cups spin so that would imply they are adapters that fit into the bearing race so these ought to be drifted out followed by a second drifting out of the bearings themselves.
    sounds about right.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    a photo - it says something like focustech on the adapter - hopefully somebody will recognise it and confirm ^^^^.

adapter_424.jpg