New to this cycling business where to now?

Flubsterunited
Flubsterunited Posts: 29
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Just got back on the bike after 10 years in the car, current stead is a 10 year old mountain bike and I fancy upgrading to a road bike. I'm avoiding the hybrid step as I already put some slick schwalbe city jets on the mountain bike and have been commuting on it for a while.

I've looked at a few road bikes and cyclocross bikes, the one I've got my eye on is a second hand forme Thorpe comp this years bike 58cm and available under a grand, does anyone have an opinion on this bike?

I'm riding 30-40 miles a week but trying to increase as well (I'm also even after 4 stone of weight loss) still 18 stone but capable of doing 30 plus mile runs when time allows.

Thanks for reading and please go easy I'm only a newbie!
12 year old claud butler MTB
2012 giant defy 0 (black is slimming you know!)

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-12-45940

Seems decent :)

What it doesn't say is how comfortable it may or many not be, it looks to me to be more "Race" than "Sportive". You might find the position isn't comfortable for you to begin with. Ideally you need to see it and sit on it to find out properly, otherwise it would seem to be a good buy.

To be fair, almost any road bike is going to be a night and day difference to the MTB.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Thanks for that, I've tried a forme of the same size and geometry and it felt ok, I have a very large mountain bike with a longer than normall top tube so not as different as I expected. think I'll go normal pedals to start with try to work up to spd not sure on the Lycra though (18 stone)! Will stick to shorts base layer and tshirt
    12 year old claud butler MTB
    2012 giant defy 0 (black is slimming you know!)
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I wasn't sure on lycra at first either... but it works. Get some padded undershorts at the very least though if you haven't already. Your backside will thank you for it :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    Mikey41 wrote:
    Get some padded undershorts at the very least though if you haven't already. Your backside will thank you for it :)

+1