Turner 5 Spot or Santa Cruz Heckler

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have been looking for a new (used) FS trail frame for a while now. My poor old back can't take the hardtail any more.
Whatever I get needs to suit 140mm forks (Pikes) with 1 1/8" steerer, 225mm long and 26" wheels, the rest I can change if I need to. I tend to be fairly aggressive on the descents but don't want a big heavy AM bike.
Two frames which look ideal are the Turner 5 Spot and Santa Cruz Heckler, both 2009/2010 models.
Has anyone had either of these & would you recommend them?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Is that the 5spot with the dw link? If it is, then I'd go for that, IMO it's one of the best systems out there, put a works angleset on to slacken it out abit and it'll match any new trail bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thats the one. Not sure if I would slacken it or not, 68 degrees seems about right.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    can't comment on the turner as never even thrown a leg over one, although all reviews seem positive. However can heartily recommend the sc heckler.

had one for 5 years and find it difficult to find fault with. incredibly sturdy piece of kit at a slightly lower weight than the turner (the trurner also looks a little more fragile than the sc). you really can give the heckler some real abuse without having to worry about it.

main pro's for me were the fit an forget nature of the frame - didn't touch the bearings once in five years and the sum total of maintenance i had to do on the frame / shock was replacing the lower DU shock bushing twice (all of ten minutes work). Also liked, because of it's strength, the versatility of builds you could do with it. at one time or another i had it built up with 140 forks lighter trail bike to a 160mm all mountain bruiser. all a hell of a lot of fun to ride and makes you want to 'play' on it.

the cons were slightly too steep head angle at 69 for my taste, however was fine when i had longer forks / off set shock mounts on shorter forks. The single pivot will never be a plush as the DW link, however never noticed any real brake jack that single pivots can supposedly suffer from, but it is a little more agricultural / less refined than other systems. However running about 30% sag made it ride pretty plush without much bob.

another minor point in favor of the sc in my mind is the extra 10mm of rear travel. not a huge point but i noticed the difference going from 140 to 150
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Thats the one. Not sure if I would slacken it or not, 68 degrees seems about right.

Smooth as anything, very nice bike, demo'd one several years back.

Mind you I'd be happy with the heckler as well in all its single pivot agriculturalness.

But I'd take the turner in preference. The suspension is very progressive and the (fox?) shock is matched to the bike very nicely.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I sat on a Heckler recently and didn't like the steepness. I got a Nomad instead, which is a brilliant bike.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    EH_Rob wrote:
    I sat on a Heckler recently and didn't like the steepness. I got a Nomad instead, which is a brilliant bike.

i agree, i upgraded to a nomad after my heckler got stolen. But that isn't what th OP is asking. It also wouldn't work with his need to use his 140mm fork as they're designed around a 160mm fork
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • rockmonkeysc
    Trance is also tempting, I have had one and wish I had kept it.
    I just like the idea of something a bit different. The Santa Cruz is appealing because I like single pivot suspension and the Turner is just a bike I have always liked the look of.
    I was kind of hoping no one would suggest the Trance because I know it is the sensible choice!
  • I have a SC Heckler, went from a Giant Anthem to it and love it, i have it setup with 150mm fork upfront. It feels bomb proof, not to heavy and fun to ride.