Paying back Working Tax Credit/ Child Tax Credit??

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
We've been overpaid WTC and/or CTC.

This is due to be paid back. I've no issue with this.

I'd like to paid it back over as long a term as possible or defer repayment for as long as possible.

(it's not an insignificant amount of money)

Has anyone any experience of these repayments? Whats possible in terms of negotiation?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Yup, they want some back off us too. Really ought to ring them, I guess.

From the blurb, you can spread it over 12 months.
  • We were over paid as well. Rather than actually having to give anything back, they adjusted our payments, so we didn't see any money from them for a few months, and are now getting back each month less than they originally said we would to effectively repay what we owe.

Not sure if that makes much sense, sorry if it's not clear. Let's face it, tax credits and the paperwork is complex to say the least, especially when income varies over the tax year due to maternity leave and other factors.
  • tailwindhome
    Extralight wrote:
    Rather than actually having to give anything back, they adjusted our payments.

We don't anticpate any future payments
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I owe them some too.

Is it interest free if you spread it over the 12 months?
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    We were over paid as well. Rather than actually having to give anything back, they adjusted our payments, so we didn't see any money from them for a few months, and are now getting back each month less than they originally said we would to effectively repay what we owe.[/color]
    Not sure if that makes much sense, sorry if it's not clear. Let's face it, tax credits and the paperwork is complex to say the least, especially when income varies over the tax year due to maternity leave and other factors.

Had same problem last year. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the block but when the missus gives them all the info they require to workout what we'll get, how can they then claim that we were overpaid a year later?
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I'm paying 1700 back over2 years. Ring them up and negotiate the deal you want they were quite reasonable. Luckily that's the balance from a 15k overpayment that they gave me. It took ages to get them to agree to take most of it back once I realised the error in their calculations.

They should employ people who understand how to calculate tax!

Their calculations seem to run a year behind so if you are lucky enough to get an income increase you then end up owing them money.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I'm paying back an overpayment over 12 months (with no interest charges). Overpayment came from the change in thresholds (so we no longer qualified). There was a number to ring with the 'demand' and a DD was set up in one simple phone call.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My WTC overpayment is being done over 12 months and there is nothing to stop me claiming it again which would mean the repayment being paid by HMRC and a little bike money left over :D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    byke68 wrote:
    Had same problem last year. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the block but when the missus gives them all the info they require to workout what we'll get, how can they then claim that we were overpaid a year later?
    If your misses got it wrong, if circumstances changed mid year etc etc etc....

If it can be paid off in a year by adjusting current payments, then that is the usual first route.

If TWH isn't getting any more payments then it would seem logical they will spread it over a year unless TWH or whoever gave the details appeared to deliberately mislead in which case I've heard of them demaning immediate lump sum payment (fair enough).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • We've been overpaid WTC and/or CTC.

I'd like to paid it back over as long a term as possible or defer repayment for as long as possible.

Has anyone any experience of these repayments? Whats possible in terms of negotiation?

Pay it back immediately. The state needs this money. This country is in a dire financial position. There's no room for non fare-paying passengers.

We're all in this together, etc...

:twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome

Pay it back immediately. The state needs this money. This country is in a dire financial position. There's no room for non fare-paying passengers.

If I pay it back immediately I won't be able to afford to go to Starbucks anymore :cry:

Cheers for the interest free loan.

---

I'm right in thinking this doesn't need to be dealt with until the tax year end in April?

I finish work at Christmas and won't be earning from Jan to Apr - I should be due a rebate - one may offset the t'other.
  • byke68 wrote:
    We were over paid as well. Rather than actually having to give anything back, they adjusted our payments, so we didn't see any money from them for a few months, and are now getting back each month less than they originally said we would to effectively repay what we owe.[/color]

Exactly the same happened to us!!
  • I won't be able to afford to go to Starbucks anymore :cry:

Right there, you have (I fear) perfectly summarised my likely life as a pensioner.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337

I trust you've forgone any child benefit. :P
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Still chasing me from 2004... I paid back my calculation which was 45% of what they wanted. get the VERY occasional phone call maybe 18 months since the last one.