Bontrager XR4 team issue 2.2 or 2.35?

MonkFunk
MonkFunk Posts: 91
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Thinking of getting a pair of these after reading all of the positive reviews. I would've gone for the 2.2 size ordinarily but the cheap ones from all terrain cycles have sold out in this size and the next cheapest I can find are from Evans which are approx £17 more expensive for the pair delivered (£43 vs £60).

The 2.35 size however are still available at the cheap price so I was debating about getting them instead to save some cash. I've read though that they're huge for 2.35. They're also obviously a bit heavier at 730g vs 582g and I'm guessing would be a bit slower rolling? Would the difference be really noticable though? I guess some people would think £17 to lose 300g isn't much expense!

Would you shell out the extra for the 2.2 size or take a punt on the cheaper 2.35?

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    What size do you want? Sound like you want the 2.2" so get those. Will the 2.35" even fit your frame/forks?

Personally I wouldn't be putting a different tyre size on one of the bikes because of cost. I normally decide on the rough tyre size I want/need and look for a suitable tyre to match not decide on a tyre then get whatever size is the cheapest
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Yeah, I think I want the 2.2's and was leaning that way. I've just never had 2.35's to know how much difference there would be in practice. If someone had used both sizes and said there wasn't much to choose between them then I might've got the cheaper one, that's all.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The 2.35" Bontrager tyres are massive, bigger than most 2.5" tyres! They wouldn't even fit in the frame on my Trance and you would want a fairly wide rim for them to work properly.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    my mate runs some on his genesis core and they are pretty mahoosive....

not much room under the fork arch
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie