Favorite UK National Park

hdow
hdow Posts: 184
edited October 2012 in Tour & expedition
Just a quick survey. All responses gratefully received.

If you were to recommend a UK National Park to a friend for a few days cycling which one would it be? Any particular reason?

Many thanks

HarryD

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I'd have to say The Peak District. Mainly because it's within cycling distance of my house, so I know it very well :) But it's big enough to have several distinct areas due to geology, giving different riding experiences - The White Peak is softer scenically than The High Peak with its wild moorlands and many reservoirs.
    There are plenty of testing climbs all over, and lots of pretty villages, cafes and pubs :lol:

(I also love cycling in The Lakes, Dartmoor, Yorkshire Dales & N. York Moors :wink: )
  • To some extent it depends on your friend's capabilities, but, as above, the Peak District is superb for hills. If you prefer something flatter, the New Forest is fantastic. I've less experience of the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales but they're both excellent places to ride also. Think about the season as well...the Peak, Lakes and Dales will be more affected by inclement weather this time of year than the New Forest!