Oops... eXCeption Series...

adrenalinemunki
adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I ordered some Maxxis CrossMark tyres from my LBS (to go on the rear, HR 2.35 60a at the front) - I ordered 2.1" 62a tyres and what has arrived are eXCeption tyres...

Now, I have read on more than one occasion that these are race tyres and as such have thin sidewalls etc... Am I right in thinking in this case the 62a only comes in eXCeption flavour and I should have gone for something else?

Just need a bit of advice as to whether they go back or not before I stick em on the bike?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have been using them (Ignitors) for years and have never had any problems.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Depends where you're riding, I had a 2.1 Crossmark 62a exception on the back and it was fine at trail centres but took a bettering fairly quickly on natural rocky stuff. Crossmarks are rubbish in mud anyway so get rid and get a knobblier tyre with exo sidewalls. The On One Smorgasbord trail extreme are only £20 at the moment???
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I have a 2.1 exception advantage on the rear atm, havent had any issues in several months of riding. Its been on quite a bit of trail centre stuff, as well as natural around dalby, the lakes etc.

60a and 70a are standard sidewalls, 62a is exception sidewalls on all maxxis tyres ive seen. You could always ask to swap it for a 60a if you are worried
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I think they re much better tyres. PLus I think it's the softness of the rubber that is different (hence more grip) than anything to do with the sidewalls

If you got them at the same price as the 70a tyres you ve snagged a bargin!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver