UCI / McQuaid / Verbruggen - take action(!)

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited October 2012 in Pro race
Just passing this on from Not Pat McQuaid on Twitter

"CALL TO ACTION: Want to do something? Find the UCI Mgmt Committee member closest to your home, and follow attached"

A52VqNMCEAALJ77.png
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• Mailed Brian Cookson this afternoon
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    A useful summary by Ashenden of what we know about the Armstrong donations and how dodgy they still look...

http://www.siab.org.au/58dgETdx002ag/Ar ... iangle.pdf
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    hnez8ogv.jpg
    Wow. This is Pat's son. He's going to regret posting this - he deleted it fairly quickly.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    hnez8ogv.jpg
    Wow. This is Pat's son. He's going to regret posting this - he deleted it fairly quickly.

Time for Greg to get back in touch with his lawyers I suspect!
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    DeadCalm wrote:
    A useful summary by Ashenden of what we know about the Armstrong donations and how dodgy they still look...

Nice.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    hnez8ogv.jpg

To quote that great Scottish philosopher, Shrek: "What you're doing is the opposite of help".

Various other members of the McQuaid clan have been taking to the internet over the past week. Not with any great success, it must be said.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • niedermeyer
    niedermeyer Posts: 1,075
    DeadCalm wrote:

Am I right in summarising?: - 2001 Tour of Switzerland Armstrong has dodgy test but not quite at the 80% positive mark (but would be positive under today's criteria). Pays $25k to UCI and promises a further $100k which he seems to forget about handing over. ToS test 'goes away'. Equipe story comes up - 6 positive tests but not 'admissable', but damning nonetheless. UCI gently remind him about $100k. Lance coughs up. UCI refuse to follow up on Equipe story and it goes away.
    Mailed Brian Cookson this afternoon

Sent my twopenn'rth as well at the time so I suppose the attached is some sort of reply

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/20121023-about-bc-static-Message-from-Brian-Cookson-0
  • LangerDan wrote:
    hnez8ogv.jpg

To quote that great Scottish philosopher, Shrek: "What you're doing is the opposite of help".

Various other members of the McQuaid clan have been taking to the internet over the past week. Not with any great success, it must be said.

NOOOO! you absolute farkwit McQuaid the Younger. If he wasnt involved in pro cycling, that's one thing - but he's the agent to many of the pros. Again, what a farkwit.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    hnez8ogv.jpg

Oh dear, I feel a lawsuit coming on...
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    hommelbier wrote:
    Mailed Brian Cookson this afternoon

Sent my twopenn'rth as well at the time so I suppose the attached is some sort of reply

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/20121023-about-bc-static-Message-from-Brian-Cookson-0

Cookson's main concern is the sort of headlines cycling gets, typical, and exactly why cycling has attracted the wrong sort of headlines for several decades.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Paul 8v wrote:
    hnez8ogv.jpg

Let's not use same pathethic tactics as those bellends.
  • Paul 8v
    ThomThom wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    hnez8ogv.jpg

Let's not use same pathethic tactics as those bellends.

I meant from Lemond himself, but yes you're right. What a nobbish thing to post though, do these people not think?!
  • Brian Cookson is President of the Road Commission at the UCI. In fact this was Fat Pat's role until Verbruggen shoe'd him in to replace him.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... -Cookson-0

This gives even more reason for Cookson to be lobbied. And for him to speak up.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Has anyone forwarded Andrew McQuaid's twitter piece to Greg or Kathy LeMond yet ? - He cant get away with that surely even if he has deleted it the rat that he is.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Has anyone forwarded Andrew McQuaid's twitter piece to Greg or Kathy LeMond yet ? - He cant get away with that surely even if he has deleted it the rat that he is.

Sure a number of people will have
  • Art Vandelay
    The KNWU (Cycling federation of the Netherlands) have sent the UCI a statement demanding change:

A6EGFVSCAAA_DuX.png:large
    A6EGJUACYAAdWy-.png:large
    A6EGMlVCYAAJ61Y.png:large

I'd like to see the other federations folllow suit.
  • "the scumbag" quote was hilarious - I can't believe these jokers are the heads of an international sporting body - reminds me of Blatter :lol:

On a serious note as a relative newcomer to the sport, I can only give a limited opinion but surely they need to have a Brailsford type character at the head of the organisation rather than an ex doper ( I like David Millar but I don't believe he's the answer) or characters that were around in the late 90's - early 2000's? Actually do the leadership need to come from pro cycling, perhaps from a business background?
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    harrydaisy wrote:
    "the scumbag" quote was hilarious - I can't believe these jokers are the heads of an international sporting body

Nor can they.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    The KNWU (Cycling federation of the Netherlands) have sent the UCI a statement demanding change:

I'd like to see the other federations folllow suit.

A few years ago the KNWU were trying to re-nominate their own man - Verbrguggen - for another run in the UCI hot-seat.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Any emails of that nature to BC or any other body will be filed under a folder called "Spam" and deleted.
  • Paul 8v
    So was the meeting this Friday? I've not heard any news so I'mguessing he's not gone... That said I've not been on t'internet since about Friday morning so have had to rely on the radio which probably wouldn't report it if he did!
  • Paul 8v
    Looks like nothing happened, I'm guessing those guys at the UCI were bombarded with emails and looks like none of them had the minerals to do anything about it! not great for the sport really...
  • Art Vandelay
    It wasn't widely reported and I haven't seen any follow up but apparently a small number of countries reps tried to table a motion for Verbruggen to step down at the recent UCI management committee meeting. Not enough support for the motion was garnered though.