Daft Question re shorts and creams

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
To use chamios cream - do I need to have shorts with a proper chamios insert ?

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Some people also apply it to skin, so dunno :-)
  • kingrollo
    By chamios cream - I meant any anti chaffing cream ?
  • zx6man
    Yeah, I got Udderly Smooth chamois cream, and read that it can be also rubbed into skin if no chamois.
  • zx6man
    From its own website.

Chamois Cream

Whether you put Udderly Smooth® on yourself or your chamois is your choice.

http://www.udderlysmooth.com/cycling-chamois.shtml
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    zx6man wrote:
    From its own website.

Chamois Cream

but if you do just apply to chamois, you need to wear the shorts to get any benefit.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Apply to both. You only need it for longer rides anyway. Why you would ride anything further than 10 miles without padded shorts is beyond me.
  • zx6man
    They do get reviews that its pointless on short rides.
  • kingrollo
    I do wear padded shorts - but the insert is synthetic not chammy leather.

I am recovering (very slowly) from an injury - im currently up to about 20 miles - I notice i get very sore in the groin area - and can see where my legs are rubbing - I just wonder if some anti chaff cream may help ?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    kingrollo wrote:
    I do wear padded shorts - but the insert is synthetic not chammy leather.

I am recovering (very slowly) from an injury - im currently up to about 20 miles - I notice i get very sore in the groin area - and can see where my legs are rubbing - I just wonder if some anti chaff cream may help ?

99.9% of bibs have synthetic inserts... modern chamois cream is meant for these.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I dont use cream and don't see the need for it, If you're getting sore then I would think your saddle isn't a good fit, cream will only help so much. Where are your legs rubbing?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    drlodge wrote:
    I dont use cream and don't see the need for it, If you're getting sore then I would think your saddle isn't a good fit, cream will only help so much. Where are your legs rubbing?

Well, every pro I've ever known uses chamois cream, and I'm guessing their saddles fit OK.
  • There are many things that I would like every beginner cyclist to know, but one of them is that you cannot judge the viability of a piece of equipment based on the fact that 'the pros use it'.

Professional cyclists do use chamois cream (and many of yore most likely did not use any such thing). They also ride at very, very high intensity and an infected saddle sore would be catastrophic. Dave Zabriskie (and therefore presumably others) apparently sterilises his cycling shorts with UV light.

But it's pure nonsense that you have to wear padded shorts, even; let alone chamois cream. It depends on what kind of cycling you are doing. There are plenty of tourers and audaxers who would give you very funny looks for daring to suggest that they should be in lycra and rubbing stuff on their tender parts.

Chamois cream is an 'aid', not a 'cure'. It is what you can use when the duration and intensity of your cycling are such that the right shorts and the right saddle combined with a properly adjusted bike are insufficient. If you have the these three, you should be able to ride in complete comfort (assuming no pre-existing saddle sore) for at least 3 hours, if not quite a bit more.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    t4tomo wrote:
    zx6man wrote:
    From its own website.

Chamois Cream

but if you do just apply to chamois, you need to wear the shorts to get any benefit.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    You're forgetting the psychological benefits.