Heli tape protects against chips or just rubbing?

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi All,

Quick question, as the title really. I know Helicopter tape is used to prevent cable rub but does it also work effectively to prevent chips to the paint?

I got a bit of chain suck this weekend and the chain has taken a few chunks of paint from my C456's chain stay. Would a bit of heli tape help prevent more chips?

thanks Jai

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes to a degree. But chain suck is more gouges, and there is very little you can do to stop that.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stick some aluminum sheet on the area.

most good frame makers provide some form of protection.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think i had heli tape on the chainstay of my C456, the chain went straight through it at the first sign of chainsuck.

It did a good job of protecting the frame from a bloomin' massive rock that thundered off the downtube a few weeks ago. I honestly thought the frame was dead but it was just the tape that was deformed, took it off and the frame looks fine.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jairaj
    Ok thanks all, I'll try some heli tape as temporary measure for now.

I couldn't find anything on the On One website about protecting the chain stays for a Carbon 456, I'll send them an email see what they say.

Nick - would I be able to make something home made? Find a scrap of Alu sheet 2-3 mm thick and bend it into the shape of the chain stay and glue it on?
  • jairaj
    Well super quick reply from On One. They said to just use an old inner tube.
  • jairaj wrote:
    Well super quick reply from On One. They said to just use an old inner tube.
    You could try Frame Wrap. Google it or do a forum search for carbon 456 builds and you'll find the link. It's a lighter weight option and has great reviews - £6.99 I think. Looks a bit neater than tube also.

All the best
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    What's wrong with a neoprene chain stay?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • jairaj
    it doesn't do anything to stop gauges caused by chain suck.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    jairaj wrote:
    it doesn't do anything to stop gauges caused by chain suck.

The same I guess would apply to an inner tube. On my C456, I stuck a bit of 3m backed carbon sheet where the chain could suck. Never needed it though as ran single ring and never had any sucking moments :)