2011 Spesh big hit 2 opinions

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at one on ebay and am just wondering if anyone has or has had one. opinions for a casual DH bike?

cheers :D

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a 2009 big hit and I love it - worked a treat for me over summer as a bike park bike. Compliant, plush suspension, enough travel to get out of trouble, balanced in the air, not the most enthusiastic of bikes on the jumps - need to work to get it airbourne btu all in all a very nice ride in my opinion.

Negatives for me were Sram gearing but its an x9 mech so trouble free I just dont like the shifters, some wont enjoy the avid brakes but they worked, werent too grabby and if anythign encouraged me to go faster as they weren't inclined to slow you down overly quickly anyway, and the chain device was questionable although improved with a bit of tinkering and added spacers. Not sure if the 2011 has any of the same kit though.

Hope that helps!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    ok cheers mate, i've just put a bid on. lets see :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have rode one and they are very good. It's no race bike but as a fun DH/FR bike it's excellent. Very neutral handling, reasonable weight and solid frame.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I picked my mate's one up the other day and nearly put my back out!..maybe that's just compared to my race-ready Session :wink:

Saying that, I did have a little shred round town on it, just hitting some steps and stuff and was pretty impressed, nice a plush, well balanced
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    If his big hit is heavier than your session he must have filled the frame with concrete. I don't think mine is that weighty.
  • welshkev
    Cheers guys, I've just bought it. I'm picking it up monday as that's the first chance I'll get...I can't wait :D
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Well done Kev!!

Is it the silver one down in Poole with Domains on it?

If so, pretty similar to my SX Trail (although 3 years newer so will have better geometry than mine + probably weigh a bit less).

We'll have to get together for a Saturday's DH at Cwmcarn with Squarepants & Northern Monkey before the year's out!!
  • paul.skibum
    the BH is a little slacker than the SX Trail I believe and feels a little longer in the top tube. Good on you Kev - you wont be disappointed!
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Aha! So the 1.5 degree reducers cups (from Saar Gelvan) that I've just fitted should make up for some of the slackness - mine should now be sat at 64.2 degrees.

Anyway, that's not the point - go ride it Kev!!
  • welshkev
    Proutster wrote:
    Well done Kev!!

Is it the silver one down in Poole with Domains on it?

If so, pretty similar to my SX Trail (although 3 years newer so will have better geometry than mine + probably weigh a bit less).

We'll have to get together for a Saturday's DH at Cwmcarn with Squarepants & Northern Monkey before the year's out!!

Sunday 18th November is looking like a good day for a day of dh action if you're around? Either cc or FoD :-)