Going for KOM's all year round, bad for the health?

2»

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    LegendLust wrote:
    It does amaze me the amount of Strava KOM baggers, who never pin on a number and enter a proper Hillclimb race?

I'll let you into a secret - the people who are KOM on Stava probably aren't the fastest up that particular hill

The top 10 slots of the main big hills in my area are actually filled up with the fastest guys in the area. Yeah there are a few where there's only 20-30 people on the list and I actually have a chance of getting a KOM on these ones.

But yeah, what's your point?

I think if you can get a KOM on a tough hill then it is similar to doing a hill climb and it's free. And for the record I do do hill climbs and TT's.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    okgo wrote:
    Why is money a limitation? time trials cost a few quid, and road races, whilst I agree are a rip off are only £20 or so.

Remember WillHub is from the North - he's not got a swanky london media job to fund his racing.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    okgo wrote:
    Why is money a limitation? time trials cost a few quid, and road races, whilst I agree are a rip off are only £20 or so.

Think the body slowing down thing is a load of old toss personally, if I am not faster in January than I am now, I'll be annoyed.

Money's a limitation for me - mortgage to pay and family to support, some races are quite pricey when you add up entry fee, entry to series, affiliation to league, transport, not to mention repair costs when some fuktard wipes you out.

As for body slowing down, my body is slowing down generally never mind over the course of the year! I don't want to sound defeatist, but I definitely think a few weeks off at least once a year to letthe batteries recharge is a good thing.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    jibberjim wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:
    It does amaze me the amount of Strava KOM baggers, who never pin on a number and enter a proper Hillclimb race?

I'll let you into a secret - the people who are KOM on Stava probably aren't the fastest up that particular hill

Nor are the people who win hill climbs - I'm sure J-Rod / Phil Gil etc would royally whoop their collective asses. So what's your point?

I think you've answered my point

So why isn't your point "It does amaze me the amount of CTC Hill Climb baggers who never pin a number and enter the Tour De France? the people winning Hill Climbs aren't the fastest up that particular hill" ?

jeez that answer is wrong on so many points
  • bigmat
    LegendLust wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

Nor are the people who win hill climbs - I'm sure J-Rod / Phil Gil etc would royally whoop their collective asses. So what's your point?

How is that? Could you be a little less cryptic?
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    BigMat wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

How is that? Could you be a little less cryptic?

That despite all the willy waving on Strava, there's still someone always better/quicker than you out there!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    willhub wrote:
    As above..

Is going for KOM's bad for the health if aiming all year round?

I'm personally finding I'm struggling to aim for KOM's and even beat my previous times, suggesting my form is actually falling, I've gained £8 and 2% bodyfat and not getting any faster, which is sort of telling me it's got to that time of year (Winter) where my body just goes into hibernation as far as chucking out the watts, I've started catching catching cold also, almost the same time as last year, and the year before (October).

Perhaps it's a sign it's time to hit the miles, long and gracefully and no super hard bashing and resume training for stuff next year? It just seems like a futile effort trying to push the envelope at this time of year I've just about came round to it, every year at this time I've found myself sluggish.

What do ya think?

Does this make you a professional? :evil: :evil:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    LegendLust wrote:
    That despite all the willy waving on Strava, there's still someone always better/quicker than you out there!

But why is willy waving in one competition with a restricted set of practioners that doesn't include the best different to a different competition with a restricted set of practioners? That's what you're not explaining, no-one actually who is a KOM on strava, or who wins the local hill climb which 15 people turn up to thinks they're best in the world. They just think they're the best of the guys who entered the competition, Strava even has more entrants from Professional riders than Hill Climbs, but it's purely fun. I know lots of people with lots of KOM's - including the person with the most QOM's of anyone - none of them are willy-waving they're just competing on a social network.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • bigmat
    jibberjim wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

But why is willy waving in one competition with a restricted set of practioners that doesn't include the best different to a different competition with a restricted set of practioners? That's what you're not explaining, no-one actually who is a KOM on strava, or who wins the local hill climb which 15 people turn up to thinks they're best in the world. They just think they're the best of the guys who entered the competition, Strava even has more entrants from Professional riders than Hill Climbs, but it's purely fun. I know lots of people with lots of KOM's - including the person with the most QOM's of anyone - none of them are willy-waving they're just competing on a social network.

Exactly. If people are "willy waving" (or whatever the female equivalent might be) then o guess they deserve to be shot down in flames, but I just don't see people behaving like that.