Newbie question;- Which Hybrid Wheelset sohuld i buy ?

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have just bought a second hand Hybrid 7 speed hardtail from a friend but the wheels are both shot at. I normally ride road bikes so when it comes to choosing Hybrid wheels I'm not too sure.
The bike would only be used for canal tow path's in the winter which are not bad to ride on and it will occasionally go on the road.
Any advise on rim width and quality would be greatly appreciated.( links would be handy)

forgot , its V brakes.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is the rear wheel one that takes a cassette or freewheel ie slide on or screw on cogs? Also need to know the wheel size, brake type, and rear dropout width ie 130mm or 135mm.

Also what bike? ;-)
  • rear drop out width 135mm it originally had a Shimano TZ31 screw on cassette. Front wheel rim measures 20 mm across.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Screw on FREEWHEEL, cassettes slide on......

Personally I'd try and buy a decent used pair local to you off ebay/gumtree, add a cassette if needs be.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lost me there m8 , I thought the Shimano TZ31 screws on not slides on.

I know about eBay /gumtree , I was wanting peoples opinions as to which brand etc... at a reasonable price + eBay/gumtree can also be were people unload all their very worn and damaged gear.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's a reasonable price?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • £120+£150 for the pair I would have thought but I'm awfully tight fisted :)
  • 26" or 700c?
  • 26" or 700c?

700c
  • supersonic
    The TZ31 is a screw on freewheel - it is not a cassette. Not easy to find good wheels with this fitting, I'd be tempted to buy a 7 speed cassette and a cassette wheel (will need a spacer though).
  • I dont have to match , the TZ31 cassette is what was on it before . As long as the wheels fit to something like the specs below as I will be scrapping the old wheels.;-
    700c
    Hybrid type wheels
    takes a 7 speed cassette or a freewheel
    roughly 20mm rims (This is the size of the old un's)
    and won't ping out of true on my first ride.
    There's tonnes on eBay but I'm unsure of the quality as 1/2 of them don't list what there made up of.
  • supersonic
    The TZ31 is NOT a cassette! You are going to have to be careful here or you will get something that does not work!

freewheel-vs-k7.jpg

Unless you get new parts of course.
  • I think its the way I'm wording it , i know the difference ,
    freewheel screws on and has the bearings in it , a cassette slides on.
    Basically the rear wheel i took off was a freewheel like the one on the left :) with a shimano ZT31 attached which is heading for the bin, the wheel itself is knackered. The front wheel is no better so I might as well replace both.

I'm not bothered if its a freewheel or a freehub/cassette as long as its suitable for a 7 speed Hybrid bike , 700c , strong enough for a bit of bumpy canal riding. The old wheels were 20mm across the width of the rim, thought I'd mention it incase its needed.
    sorry for the confusion , my fault.
  • supersonic
    Some nicely priced wheels here:

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/wheels/700 ... t_104.html

Though double check with them first about the spacing, some might be 130mm.
  • Am I right in thinking 135mm is standard unless stated ?.
  • supersonic
    I don't know in this case - I have bought wheels from them before, are good, but I'd check the details first.
  • I'm still struggling to choose the correct wheelset for my need's. I had a look at the website and the wheel ad's don't give too much info as to what rim's they use and i know wheels a play a big part in making or breaking a bike.
    I'm still unsure if to use freewheel or freehub+cassette , with my bike been a dual sport type it would be used for canal towpaths which can be a bit bumpy and road's as well so its hard determining what rim's , hubs would suit both uses.
    the rear dropout on the bike is 135mm , its a 7 speed , 700c , i prefer black wheel's so if anyone knows say a hybrid or cyclocross type wheel that would be great.
    when they say "rear drop out measurement , do they mean from the inside of the rear drop out ( hanger) to the opposite inside rear drop out ?.Reason I'm asking is , don't MTB use 130mm or am i day dreaming ? .
  • supersonic
    Why not email them and ask what the widths are and rim info? You need a screw on hub fitting for your freewheel.

If you get the one with a freehub body, you need a new cassette and spacer.
  • I used there licve chat and the guy on the other end was very helpful. I'm just unsure of the quality of a set of wheels for £67 , and I don't know the benefits of a freewheel over a a freehub and visa versa.
    I just need something strong , tested and bomb proof , , , , , but not dear :): I don't want much !.
  • supersonic
    Cassette wheels with freehub are more durable.