Garmin forerunner 110

nick1972
nick1972 Posts: 144
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I've been considering buying a Garmin Forerunner 110 to keep a record of distances, times and calories burned. Has anyone had any experience with this watch or similar models

Comments

• I know someone who has one but they use it for running. They did say its a nice bit of kit though and works well. Any reason why you want this and not a bike computer? Will you be running and cycling?
  • Nick - I use a Forerunner 110 for both running and road riding. I bought it primarily for running but since getting back into road riding a few months ago I have found it to be really useful and equally adept at recording my running and riding activities. The best thing I have found is the ability to use it to upload my rides to Garmin connect and more recently to Strava, it allows me to see my progress very easily particularly as I also have a Garmin heart rate strap which gives me some idea of how much effort I'm putting in at various points on route. I'm not sure how accurate the calories burnt thing is, I had trouble with it to begin with but after a couple of firmware updates it seems reasonable now but wildly different to the calories burnt figure I get from Strava. On a 2 hour ride I the forerunner reckons I burn around 1800 calories, perhaps someone hear may be able to verify whether or not that sounds within reason.
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    Insideinfo wrote:
    I know someone who has one but they use it for running. They did say its a nice bit of kit though and works well. Any reason why you want this and not a bike computer? Will you be running and cycling?

It comes down to price. I would be using it for my cycling.
  • I have a Forerunner 305 which must be around 10 years old now. I orignally bought it for running and used it with a HRM but since buying the bike in August I've added a GSC-10 Cadence Sensor and mounted it on my bars with the genuine Garmin bike mount (well worth the £10 asking price).

It works impeccably providing all the stats I could ever need and has saved me around £150 as I no longer intend buying the Edge 500 I had my eye on.

I sync the 305 to both Garmin Connect & Strava and have detailed records of all the rides I've done. TBH I prefer the Garmin software to Strava's as I've moved away from simply pounding the segments to get a PR to trying to maintain a better average speed & average cadence over the whole ride whilst watching my average heart rate fall as I'm getting fitter.

Despite being one of the earlier models the 305 still performs faultlessly and I wouldn't be without it.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    What he said ^^^

I've used a Forerunner 305 for 4yrs, since I started cycling. It does everything I have needed it to do.

I may consider upgrading to a 310XT or 910, but that's only because I am triathlon training & I can swim with these ones.

You can pick them up for around £100
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com