First sportive prep

Beartown Bikist
Beartown Bikist Posts: 9
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

I am doing my first sportive (cumbrian cracker) in a months time.

Ive been told I should get some experience of riding in groups (will join local club) and make sure I've checked my bike.

Any other advice would be really helpful

Many thanks

Comments

• simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Three from me

1. Carry at least 2 spare inner tubes
    2. Bring some of your own food in case the feed stations are rubbish/busy
    3. Don't set off too fast, it will seem like everyone is bombing ahead but this is just adrenaline taking over.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    simona75 wrote:
    Three from me

1. Carry at least 2 spare inner tubes
    2. Bring some of your own food in case the feed stations are rubbish/busy
    3. Don't set off too fast, it will seem like everyone is bombing ahead but this is just adrenaline taking over.

I'd like to add to number 3.

I agree don't set off too fast.. but don't under-sell your ability either.. going out on some group rides should help you find a pace you can sustain in a group.. then don't be afraid to tag onto a group (providing they don't mind.. and you get your group riding skills up to scratch).

If you don't find a workable group then its going to be much much harder!
  • If you are not doing this already then practice getting up hills.

If your are already doing this then do it some more :wink:

I'm working on the theory that a 'Cumbrian cracker' is going to be hilly :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • I am doing my first sportive (cumbrian cracker) in a months time.

Good for you. Hope all goes well.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I've had a look at the route for that run and while there are plenty of undulations, you aren't going over any of the big passes. I've been thinking about entering it too, but I feel I'm probably not ready for it yet.

best of luck to you !
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Thanks all, very helpful advice :)

I've contacted my local cycle club to enquire about membership but not heard back yet - how essential is group riding practice? Was planning on plodding on my own - not really doing this to compete as such

Steve
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Thanks all, very helpful advice :)

I've contacted my local cycle club to enquire about membership but not heard back yet - how essential is group riding practice? Was planning on plodding on my own - not really doing this to compete as such

Steve

Its not about being competitive.. its about it being a whole lot easier in a group!

I push hard to get an average of 18-19mph over 30miles... When I did a 90mile sportive in september I did 18.2mph over the 90 miles thanks to a big/fast group.
  • I recognise the benefits, but I want to appreciate the surroundings rather than concentrate on hand signals, sudden changes of speed of riders in the group etc... I also don't have a clue about the etiquette and procedure in a group - I'd need to practice this before the sportive - rather than just join a group randomly and let my inexperience ruin their day.
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    I did 93 miles of the NEC Tour ride on my own. The Sunday riders were tootling along [some on mountain bikes], the club members were streaking ahead in their TT position, lycra-glad glory. I was suspended between these two types of riders totally alone for the whole ride.

It was painful...
  • mhj999
    mhj999 Posts: 122
    The best thing you can do is use common sense and be courteous. Observe what others do and decide whether it is good or bad practice.
    Don't big up the issue any more than you have to as it will then always be in your mind.
    I never rode in a group before I did sportives, I just picked it up along the way.

Try and get in a group - sportives on your own are tough, physically and mentally. i will guarantee that you could find a group going the same pace as you.

...and go practice on those hills!
    Sensa Giulia 105
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm not sure that experience of riding in groups is necessary for sportives. You may team up with folks on the way round or you may do most of your riding on your own. Whichever way, it's not a race and you won't be in a pelaton. Courtesy and common sense are all the attributes you need
  • Thanks, that's all useful.
    Hoping to ride with local cycling club at some point soon

Thanks again folk
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I'm thinking of entering this, having done a few sportives around the lake district, and always enjoyed them, and I'd be happy to go round with you, as I wouldn't do this at a set pace, just to enjoy the ride :wink:

Don't get hung up over group riding too much. I hadn't really done much before doing my first sportive, and survived ok. There are so many different levels of abilities and it can be hit 'n' miss if you find a group riding at a similar pace to you.

As there is no sweeper on this event, I would add to the list;
    Good multi tool with a chain splitter and spare links.
    Tyre boot http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-emergency-tyre-boot-patch/
    A sum of cash should you need a taxi ride back to your car.
  • Thanks all, very helpful advice :)

Steve

As I think someone else has already commented - group riding is not a black art. It's a matter of common sense. Don't let not having done it before put you off. There's a first time for everything! The most important things are observation and communication, and riding smoothly - don't jink around or brake suddenly (or surge off ahead if you end up leading!). On sportives you'll find that there are people riding at varying paces - some groups flying past, and some groups going slower than you (yes, there will be!), and some which are just right (hmm.. Goldilocks comes to mind here). If you end up in a group, then talking to the others works wonders. "OK if I join you, I'm a bit new to this" generally is greeted positively.

On the observation front, I always glance in the direction I'm turning before going (to avoid a pothole/pull in a bit) - this give anyone behind you a cue as to what you're doing. If they're in the way, or pulling up level as you want to move, "Need to come out a bit please" works. Again - communication.

There are some hand signals which are often used - here's a link to a good short guide:

http://www.redhillcc.co.uk/page/hand-signals-and-shouts

It ain't rocket surgery - and it's fun!

Edit: forgot to say - having said all this about groups, what's the betting that you'll do the ride and not manage to get into a single one! I've done an entire 76 mile sportive as billy no-mates. :(
  • Mikey41
    I guess on a first Sportive, finding a group is great just for the company and having someone to talk to / encourage each other, whatever other benefits it may bring.

I have read on some Sportive entry sites though that they warn you not to form large groups as it holds up traffic. At least you will be mostly off the busy roads, so traffic should be light.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I always find the most complicated thing about group calls for new riders is 'car up' and 'car down' :)

CAR UP - car coming from behind.

CAR DOWN - car approaching from the front.

Invariably, it seems new riders get these the wrong way round, as if it's car UP ahead. The best way to remember is UP YOUR BUM or DOWN YOUR THROAT.

Of course, some shout CAR FRONT and CAR BACK - which is a lot easier.
  • OP,

I have no group riding experience other than 2 sportives - it's not like you;re sitting 2" from their wheel, just lump in and have a natter with whoever is closest to you.

If there is a range of starting times, aim to set off early. That way, other people will constantly catch / pass you. If you get dropped by the group you're in, the next one will come along shortly. Do a couple of turns in the front when you can, and you;ll be instant mates with your new group until the next hill =)

I'll be doing this sportive if the weather looks OK, i.e not freezing and wet / snowy. If you see some fool struggling up a hill on a white GT, say hi =)

PS - make sure you're self sufficient, and definately no see through bib shorts. On the cat and fiddle, there was one bloke that had "rule 53 mate" shouted to him several times (once by me). I'm not sure he saw the funny side, but none of us enjoyed the view either!
  • Edit - scratch that, I've just booked on. See you on the route!
  • Just thought I'd thank all contributors tom this thread.
    I completed the sportive today, despite being above average fitness (I ran Snowdonia Marathon in under 4 hours) 4 weeks ago, it's safe to say I finished at the low part of the lower quartile!
    I have the bug though, will do something flatter and build up next time!

Thanks again

Steve
    A very cocky marathoner who had a wake up call on my bike today ;-)
  • Mikey41
    Well done :)

I'll be looking to enter a few next year I reckon!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Just thought I'd thank all contributors tom this thread.
    I completed the sportive today, despite being above average fitness (I ran Snowdonia Marathon in under 4 hours) 4 weeks ago, it's safe to say I finished at the low part of the lower quartile!
    I have the bug though, will do something flatter and build up next time!

Thanks again

Steve
    A very cocky marathoner who had a wake up call on my bike today ;-)
    wow thats a surprise,if you can do a marathon that quick you would think your ride would have been easier.
    you just never know and congrats on finishing the ride :D
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Great work Steve. Don't be too down hearted about your running fitness not translating directly to bike fitness as they are both pretty sport specific. Yes you'll have some common aerobic physical adaptations but the specific muscular adaptations for cycling are different from running, hence being a fit runner doesn't necessarily translate to being a fit cyclist. Switching it around, I can ride 100+ miles at a reasonable pace but I would struggle to run 5km, let alone in a reasonable time!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Looks a killer ........ nice to have made it your first one.

Everyone forgot an important piece of advice .... go for a poo first.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Great work Steve. Don't be too down hearted about your running fitness not translating directly to bike fitness as they are both pretty sport specific. Yes you'll have some common aerobic physical adaptations but the specific muscular adaptations for cycling are different from running, hence being a fit runner doesn't necessarily translate to being a fit cyclist. Switching it around, I can ride 100+ miles at a reasonable pace but I would struggle to run 5km, let alone in a reasonable time!

Yeah, that's absolutely right. I have been building up my cycling fitness for the past year or so, much to the detriment of my running - then when I decided to go for a quick 10k the other day it nearly finished me off! I won't be leaving it quite so long between runs next time.

How did the Cracker go? Did you enjoy it? That's the main thing, not the finishing time. What was the weather like? Sunday was quite a nice day down in the South of the county. I looked into it a few days before, but saw the entries were closed as they'd reached the limit. I saw quite a few good looking bikes on the top of cars going south on the A591 at about 3pm, got a bit jealous!