My first crash

Isdel7
Isdel7 Posts: 7
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hello everyone,

Although I have my bike for only a week (Triban 3), today I had my first crash in a very stupid way(and funny for spectators).
Its hard to explain how I managed to crash(my English is not very good); well I was driving in a kind of cobbled road and one thing led to another and crashed on the fields next to to the road :) . Luckily there were very few people around, to whom I would certainly look very retarded.

The stupid part was that I was going a bit fast with a road bike that I am not used to yet, in a cobbled road that I didn't know...

Anyway, since I crashed on the fields next to the road where there was mostly dirt and grass, the crash wasn't very rough either for me or the bike; I wasn't hurt at all, but my bike is slightly(hopefully) injured.
The rear wheel has bended and now it is rubbing against the break. I could ride it back to my home, only by unlocking the rear break.

So, my question is:
Will I need a new rear wheel or can this be fixed?

Could you give me estimates of the cost in both cases?

Thanks in advance. Hope my question makes sense.

Comments

• Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    Take the rear wheel into a bike shop and ask them to have a look, it probably just needs truing which is not much at all, about £10.
  • Isdel7
    Isdel7 Posts: 7
    Mike39496 wrote:
    Take the rear wheel into a bike shop and ask them to have a look, it probably just needs truing which is not much at all, about £10.

That's what I thought. Hopefully truing will do the job.
    Thanks!
  • greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    Tell me more about the crash, thats the funny bit :twisted:
  • I had my first episode of losing the bike today..

Stopped at a junction but forgot my feet are strapped in, bikes not too bad mainly scratched on the gear levers.
    My pride took a hit the 80 year old lady didn't know what to do, and to be fair neither did I lol.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I nearly did that today. Pulled up to a junction, pulled my left foot out of the strap and started leaning right :shock:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Just had my first off tonight. Was trying to trackstand at some lights. Then went for the kerb and couldnt unclip quick enough, young lad in a boy racer Corsa was decent enough to put his window down and as if I was ok. Scratched my left pedal and left brake lever, absolutely gutted and felt a right dick head.
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    I had had my wheel trued by bike shop after being bent so badly that you can visually see it bent. I thought it was not possible but the guy did it anyway he had to physically bend the wheel back before adjusting the spokes :D , and the wheel is still usable. It's quite amazing.
  • Also had a crash recently (yesterday!).

Tourist steps off the pavement infront of me (this isn't while I'm filtering mind, open road). I reacted pretty badly tbh, tried to swerve and brake. The road was wet, I locked the front wheel and went straight over the bars. Friendly passing cyclist / doctor picked me up and staunched the bleeding, helped me lock the bike up and then I got the tube to A&E. Nothing broken but I've cut my hands up nicely and don't have much use of my right thumb at the moment.

Oblivious pedestrian not only didn't check before crossing the road, but also didn't notice me slamming into the ground half a metre behind him, just kept on walking.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Earphones in no doubt ...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Scratched my left pedal and left brake lever and felt a right dick head.

Happens to the best of us.....especially the dickhead part!
  • coriordan wrote:

Yeah, I always imagined my first off would be a big like Cav moment where I skid along the floor with lycra ripped open and flesh peeling off my arms and just get up and carry on like a proper hardcore cyclist.

This was just pathetic :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    coriordan wrote:
    Yeah, I always imagined my first off would be a big like Cav moment where I skid along the floor with lycra ripped open and flesh peeling off my arms and just get up and carry on like a proper hardcore cyclist.
    This has also happened, but instead I sheepishly peeled myself off the road, hobbled onto the pavement and hopped around in pain. I sadly did have to get back on and ride, but only because none of the local broom wagons would answer the bloody phone!