What's he going to do now?

Comments

• nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    He's probably only got one testicle like his hero.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    If this were a movie, then his cancer would return and he'd meet his maker.

But as it's not, who knows?

Lovely comment :roll:

Sit back and enjoy his family I'd expect.

I think one thing gets lost by the clique here. This guy stared death in the face and beat it that cannot be denied by anyone.

After going through that having your health and your family anything else must seem trivial.
    Can we just clarify about the family - is this the wife, the fiancée or the girlfriend you're talking about?
  • nathancom wrote:
    He was clearly twisting what you said to try and justify his further comments in praise of Cancer Jesus. It is the kind of morality tale a film would rest on.

He's been boring me to death by PM. He misunderstood what was said and rather than apologise for being a tw@t he's said he's going to knock me out. I've invited him to Canary Wharf to do it, but he's gone strangely silent.

I have no patience for people like that.

To be fair the DLR and the Jubilee line CAN be a pain on weekdays... :wink:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I hope he confesses and tries to make what amends he can. He wasn't the only cheat here - plenty of others have spoken of the relief at coming clean - Lance was living a far bigger lie and whatever his personality and however much he loses there will still be something to gained for him by trying to wipe the slate clean. I don't particularly get pleasure out of seeing him suffer - I get pleasure out of the truth being known and hopefully it moving the sport on to a cleaner future and if he suffers in the process then so be it - but his suffering shouldn't be the point of all this.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • 0.jpg
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    mike6 wrote:
    <snip> Lets face it, he was only really happy in front of a camera with a microphone in his hand, so given that I would think he will go into politics. Given his personality flaws it would be a perfect fit.

The truly scary thing is that without this, I think there's a fair chance that's exactly what he would have done. His atheism might have been a problem, but the whole cancer survivor/sporting hero/charity founder thing could have offset that. Armstrong as Governor of Texas, then nominee for the White House? not unimaginable, but brings me out in a cold sweat thinking about it.

Hey....Its America we are talking about. The thought of Ronald Regan as president didn't concern you? The thought of two terms of George W Bush was not a jaw dropping, hair raising abomination???

American voters eh?
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    nathancom wrote:
    He was clearly twisting what you said to try and justify his further comments in praise of Cancer Jesus. It is the kind of morality tale a film would rest on.

He's been boring me to death by PM. He misunderstood what was said and rather than apologise for being a tw@t he's said he's going to knock me out. I've invited him to Canary Wharf to do it, but he's gone strangely silent.

I have no patience for people like that.
    Can we all come and watch? We can have a PTP on it and everything.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Can we all come and watch? We can have a PTP on it and everything.

Only if you promise to bring the popcorn x
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    Ex squeeze me?

Gazzaputt wants to fight Mad Rapper?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    nathancom wrote:
    He's probably only got one testicle like his hero.

His hero's Hitler?? I'm confused :? :? Incidentally, I was very disapointed having travelled a long way to get to the Albert Hall, only to find that his other testicle isn't there after all......
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    What he's going to do? He's going to sit 6 hours a day busting his ass off - What are you going to do?

You all forgot the one thing he actually is going to do. Living a wealthy life with millions of dollars in the bank - and that is after losing a couple of civil lawsuits.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Cant see him confessing. The only reason the FBI case went down was that there was not enough evidence, beyond reasonable doubt. If he confesses then the US government (via US Postal) will go after him again for fraudulent use of government funds and also as he gave evidence in that case he will add perjury to that charge. I am no US lawyer but pretty sure they take a dim view on messing due process and he will end up in jail for a considerable amount of time.

His world is pretty grim at the minute but being the jail bike for a few years will be a whole lot worse.
  • This article, entitled "Lance Armstrong: A cheater? Five reasons why we don't care", written by a Harvard professor, suggests that after riding out the storm, he'll probably do just fine, at least in the US:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 72286.html
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    mr_poll wrote:
    Cant see him confessing. The only reason the FBI case went down was that there was not enough evidence, beyond reasonable doubt.

Nope, the case was shut down for political reasons.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    mr_poll wrote:
    Cant see him confessing. The only reason the FBI case went down was that there was not enough evidence, beyond reasonable doubt.

Nope, the case was shut down for political reasons.

And hopefully the pressure will be on Birotte on that front...
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    About this scenario where he goes into politics.

People have to vote for politicians: who would vote for a stripped-of-medals lying cheat? Aspiring politicians especially in UK and USA (most places as far as I know) have their backgrounds thoroughly investigated, dissected, and put on show for the electorate to see. It's hardly as if no-one's ever heard of him, is it? Or are the US electorate stupid enough to actually make the effort to cast a vote for him for any public office? I wouldn't trust that bastard to empty the wheelybin properly.

Another paragraph written on the "As for the "I beat cancer" tag,..." then deleted, it's too much of an angry rant. (I've had too many cancer death funerals already. Sigh)

The longer this goes on, the more I dislike the man intensely. On every single basis (personality, characteristics, modus operandi, stability (not) in relationships, etcetera) he fails.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Lichtblick wrote:
    About this scenario where he goes into politics.

People have to vote for politicians: who would vote for a stripped-of-medals lying cheat? Aspiring politicians especially in UK and USA (most places as far as I know) have their backgrounds thoroughly investigated, dissected, and put on show for the electorate to see. It's hardly as if no-one's ever heard of him, is it? Or are the US electorate stupid enough to actually make the effort to cast a vote for him for any public office? I wouldn't trust that bastard to empty the wheelybin properly.

Another paragraph written on the "As for the "I beat cancer" tag,..." then deleted, it's too much of an angry rant. (I've had too many cancer death funerals already. Sigh)

The longer this goes on, the more I dislike the man intensely. On every single basis (personality, characteristics, modus operandi, stability (not) in relationships, etcetera) he fails.
    I think we can safely assume that ambition is over. He would never stand a chance in an election now.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Jeffrey Archer did well in Politics didn't he ?
  • A bit of cod psychology

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/10/ ... ace-truth/

Armstrong’s life story is, from a psychological perspective, less noteworthy for its triumphs than its tragedies, and his racing away from them seems to have failed, as it always does. In life, the truth always wins, no matter how cagey a person might think he is in outsmarting it.

Armstrong’s truth—and likely the driving force in his winning seven Tour de France titles while allegedly injecting himself with steroids and mainlining his own blood—is that his father abandoned him at age 2. To this day, Armstrong has refused to meet him. His mother then married another man with whom Armstrong did not get along, and with whom he has had no contact for years.

An abandoned and forgotten boy is—absent extraordinary healing—forever an abandoned and forgotten boy. Two years old is plenty old enough to be torn apart at the level of the soul by the abrupt severing, without explanation, of a father-son bond. It is plenty old enough to be shredded by the haunting suspicion that one is unworthy and unlovable. It is plenty old enough to set the stage for a decades-long race for enough fame and adulation to fill the emotional black hole inside you that keeps threatening to make you disappear into it.

Blah de blah de blah.

So, he is likely now to try to reinvent himself—perhaps by starting his own cycling league, perhaps by starring in a reality show. Anything, but anything to avoid the reality that he was unloved by the first man in his life

There you go.

"Everybody is an expert when they're watching" as my grandmother always told me.
    That and "never try and fill an inside straight".
    Wise woman my Gran.
  • Coming to a tv near you very soon via Oprah's sofa
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Coming to a tv near you very soon via Oprah's sofa

You know oprah's retired, right?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Lichtblick
    A bit of cod psychology

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/10/ ... ace-truth/

Armstrong’s life story is, from a psychological perspective, less noteworthy for its triumphs than its tragedies, and his racing away from them seems to have failed, as it always does. In life, the truth always wins, no matter how cagey a person might think he is in outsmarting it.

Armstrong’s truth—and likely the driving force in his winning seven Tour de France titles while allegedly injecting himself with steroids and mainlining his own blood—is that his father abandoned him at age 2. To this day, Armstrong has refused to meet him. His mother then married another man with whom Armstrong did not get along, and with whom he has had no contact for years.

An abandoned and forgotten boy is—absent extraordinary healing—forever an abandoned and forgotten boy. Two years old is plenty old enough to be torn apart at the level of the soul by the abrupt severing, without explanation, of a father-son bond. It is plenty old enough to be shredded by the haunting suspicion that one is unworthy and unlovable. It is plenty old enough to set the stage for a decades-long race for enough fame and adulation to fill the emotional black hole inside you that keeps threatening to make you disappear into it.

Blah de blah de blah.

So, he is likely now to try to reinvent himself—perhaps by starting his own cycling league, perhaps by starring in a reality show. Anything, but anything to avoid the reality that he was unloved by the first man in his life

There you go.

What
    A
    Load
    Of
    Shite.

(not you, phil)

Since when does a 41 year old man remember anything from when he was two? Oh, so now Armstrong (the name of his Mom's second (out of 4) husbands) is a victim! Does anyone paint Wiggins as a victim - his father abandoned his family too. Broken family? Hogwash. Millions of kids over the world come from "broken families" but they don't go on to bully and lie and cheat and deny all that for years and years afterwards. PAH.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,344
    iainf72 wrote:

So was Lance....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72 wrote:

So was Lance....

I think she'd come out of retirement for this gig :)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Jumping on the couch proclaiming his love for epo. Hollywood ending.
  • What
    A
    Load
    Of
    Shite.

(not you, phil)

Since when does a 41 year old man remember anything from when he was two? Oh, so now Armstrong (the name of his Mom's second (out of 4) husbands) is a victim! Does anyone paint Wiggins as a victim - his father abandoned his family too. Broken family? Hogwash. Millions of kids over the world come from "broken families" but they don't go on to bully and lie and cheat and deny all that for years and years afterwards. PAH.

Oh, I agree. it's utter c*ckrot.
    This sort of shite really annoys me. We've all got a sob story to tell if we want but we didn't all turn out as Blofeld .
    Bloke's a bloody clown and that's the end of it.
  • Lichtblick
    I keep thinking of Hansie Cronje, another sportsman lying cheat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansie_Cronje
  • mari blanc wrote:
    This article, entitled "Lance Armstrong: A cheater? Five reasons why we don't care", written by a Harvard professor, suggests that after riding out the storm, he'll probably do just fine, at least in the US:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 72286.html

That is a seriously shoddy piece of argumentation that completely misses the point about why what has happened these past 15 years deserves our attention and condemnation. It is not about cycling being boring and therefore no one really cares, that is beside the point, it is ultimately about young people being coerced into doing things by people more powerful than them at great risk to their health while the structures set up to regulate their sport and to supposedly protect them failed or were never designed to regulate in the first place. As an academic I would have thought he had a greater understanding of the way power works and why this in fact matters. Additionally as a historian he has a very narrow grasp of why people seek to address past historical wrongs for the collective present, or seek to alter historical memories saying only that people will remember. People do not construct and reconstruct their memories in a vacuum. Our memories are constantly being reproduced and influenced by the cultures and dominant discourses around us.

OK its a comment piece on Aljazeera but actually other academics can manage to get serious discussion into their pieces.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    I keep thinking of Hansie Cronje, another sportsman lying cheat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansie_Cronje

Extraordinary story old Cronje, especially him dieing like that.
    There was a radio 5 prog on him a while back, which wound up saying he was probably a psychopath, so nothing in common with LA then.
  • Lichtblick
    Couldn't agree more, Above.

I read a more interesting piece on the internet yesterday which said that he now has only three choices:

1. Keep lying and denying
    2. Confess, but believably
    3. Go underground (i.e., run away) (as if that's going to sort anything out :roll: )

I also keep thinking about his five children. They're so young, but old enough to ask Daddy really hard questions. Probably old enough to look around the internet too. What does he say to them? "They all lie about me, son" ?