What bike £150

dry664
dry664 Posts: 155
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm helping a colleague who's looking for a bike to help him get fit. Sounds like he's going to be 50/50 roads/canal paths & bridleways so Im advising an mtb. Budget is £150 TOPS. Needs to be reliable with minimum maintenance. Is there anything worth buying new (not a BSO) for that budget? Thanks.

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    No.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    snowster wrote:

I think he might want some part to go with the frame ;-)
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Your right it May help
  • dry664
    Thanks for the Decathlon suggestion, but it only makes me more convinced that I should try and find something used.

Am scouring ebay and have placed an ad in our own Wanted section here:
    viewtopic.php?f=40094&t=12886004

Feel free to pm me if anyone can help out. Thx
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    There's really nothing wrong with the rockrider for the intended use.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If he can manage another £39 and it fits....

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/nqp-used ... 71122.html (could well be ideal)

or http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/claud-bu ... 57099.html (bit nasty but may be OK to start)

Unless you are getting a good discount, at that price, I'd go second hand - local papers...?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dry664
    Im really surprised how little there is out there on the second hand market. Ive scoured ebay and gumtree locally and theres one reasonably priced steed (lots of dreamers). No responses to my advert on here which is surprising. I'm givng it until the end of the week, then Im heading to the local Decathlon store in Reading. So if anyone has something let me know asap. Thx
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Don't you just love it when somebody asks for help and then completely ignores it and does what they want anyway?! Why ask!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Concorde wrote:
    Don't you just love it when somebody asks for help and then completely ignores it and does what they want anyway?! Why ask!
    People ask for advice and then make a decision based on that. Nothing wrong that I can see.
    I may be infallible and anyone who doesn't take my advice is an idiot, but they don't know that. Yet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dry664
    Concorde wrote:

Hmmm. Supersonic (thanks) suggested Decathlon and I have stated thats my fallback plan. Then two other people had suggstions. One was a frame for £150. The other had 2 suggestions for bikes (one a hybrid when I clearly stated I was after an MTB) that were both £189, significantly over the £150 budget that I stated.

So let me ask this. Dont you love it when people don't read the thread properly and then make a stupid comment?
  • dry664
    Come on Cooldad, you're from Bracknell. Cant you steal me one to order :-)
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Two people suggested the Rockrider, you kept on talking about going second hand. Sounds to me that your heart is set on second hand even though nobody has advised to go second hand, only to get a Rockrider?!

Don't take advice by any means, but it's evident you're going to do what you want anyway. Why wouldn't you take SS' advice?! Knowldegable guy, then another reccommends the same but you keep going on about 2nd hand (or the lack of it).
  • dry664
    Yep you still havent read the thread :-)

Thanks to Supersonic and YeehaaMcgee for advice on the Rockrider
    Thanks to Felix.London for suggesting that I was right about looking for secondhand

Per my post above, will give it until the weekend to find something secondhand. If no luck will go to Decathlon store and get a Rockrider. Thanks everyone again who bothered to read the thread and add something constructive.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    In many ways I'm not surprised about no response to your wanted ad. Many decent bikes which get down to that price level often become parts donors, spare bikes, or pub bikes and people tend not to put them up for sale.
    EDIT - not surprised having read the wanted - your terms are very very specific!!!

For the intended use I'd recommend the Rockrider if you want the bike now. Or just keep scouring eBay for a bargain, which could take several months before anything of note turns up.

I'd avoid anything cheap from supermarkets or other high street shops.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Even the hybrid would be fine for what you've said it will be used for.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    dry664 wrote:
    Come on Cooldad, you're from Bracknell. Cant you steal me one to order :-)
    I could but then you'd have to come and pick it up and you would get mugged.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Saracen tufftrax is another option at just under 200.

Personally I would say nother vote for the rockrider, or try and find a decent second hand carrera vulcan.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Even the hybrid would be fine for what you've said it will be used for.

Yeah, I thought that too. A steal at that price.

TBH a new MTB at 'around' £150 probably won't have any more off road ability than a hybrid anyway! See: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499 and yes your mate will have to sacriface an extra £20! If not then he deserves this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499 ... give me the hybrid any day.

The Rock Rider looks fine by the way - good value anyway.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.