CRC Excellence

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Evening all

Given that these thread are usually how bad the particular bike shop has been I thought I'd present the other side:

Sent this to CRC
Hi Guys

The SDG I Beam Seatpost in OrderID: 7106753 has snapped. It went on an average bit of XC singletrack. I do not ride DH or do any jumping. I ve attached some pictures below (they re very bad I'm afraid, sorry). I'm not sure what the warranty from SDG is but could you check if this can be returned please? This is pretty poor performance from SDG!

Unfortunately, I am away until the 11th November so if possible, I will return it then.

Thanks Guys

David

Recieved this back today
Hi David,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear that your seat post is faulty. On this occasion we are sending you a replacement and there is no need to return the faulty item.

This should be dispatched within the next 24 hours.

We trust this helps.

Thanks,

James

Great Service, Very well played CRC!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    So how did it snap?

I'd want a refund. If you managed to snap one doing "average xc, no dh or jumping" what is to say it won't happen again?

Likelihood is they sent out a new one as that is cheaper for them than refunding you the money and having to restock it.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Maybe they're sending a different seatpost.

Keep us posted!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So how did it snap?

I'd want a refund. If you managed to snap one doing "average xc, no dh or jumping" what is to say it won't happen again?

Likelihood is they sent out a new one as that is cheaper for them than refunding you the money and having to restock it.

Parts can randomly break. If every item that broke was inadequate then there would be a recall of everything and nothing to buy...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe they're sending a different seatpost.

Keep us posted!
    It's the OP that needs to be (seat) posted!

Good responce from CRC, well played them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I find CRC now offer better service and often prices than my other main source of cycling related items - Wiggle. I often found Wiggle more expensive but their shipping was always fast. Since they've been sold I notice a few things which indicate the new owners are trying to make the business 'sweat' at bit more. Delivery times are slow and it's not the carriers, often order status won't move to processing for two or three days. Not unless you opt for next day. I understand why this is but they used to be great. CRC on the other hand, placed an order for some cheap night glasses on standard (free) delivery at 11:30, order processed by 13:00, arrived next day (Sat). Also my platinum Wiggle ( :oops: ) discount no longer applies to certain items which it did before (like the Sportives)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I blame Wiggle.

Ahh that thread brings back happy memories! 8) Speedking wasn't it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    I blame Wiggle.

Ahh that thread brings back happy memories! 8) Speedking wasn't it?
    Be Warned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    So how did it snap?

True dat, I can't blame them for me buying a sh1t seatpost to be fair...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • i also cannot fault crc. i had a shimano cassette from them for my gt. it shattered several cogs on the first outing. i emailed them expecting them to ask me to send it back so they could check etc,they jus sent me a new one next day! superstar on the other hand were a bit of a nightmare. i had a rotor from them that arrived warped. they wanted me to send it back for testing which they admitted could be a few weeks, leaving me unable to use the bike. CBA in the end .
  • cooldad
    Probably a matter of scale. CRC shift shedloads of stuff and it makes more sense to get 100 orders out than spend the time debating a return.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ^ as above.

Kind of feel bad for my LBS as they just can't compete with some stuff. I'm a big fan of Royal riding gear, but my LBS has just dropped the brand because they can't compete with CRC prices.

However, the Royal rep mentioned that they have noticed this too and are apparently 'making changes'... no idea what that means though.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I once ordered something from them (might of been some energy bars) and they randomly sent me some MTB wheels too. I told them, and they took ages to pick them up by courier. So, funnily enough they've only ever been slow when collecting 'free stuff' they sent me. Maybe I should have kept them, then their record would have been perfect!

I rate them (and Wiggle, Merlin, Spa Cycles and 'even' Ribble). Never had anything but good service from them all. Ribble did I similiar thing to the OP for me once.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Vegman
    Vegman Posts: 35
    crispy1980 wrote:
    i also cannot fault crc. i had a shimano cassette from them for my gt. it shattered several cogs on the first outing. i emailed them expecting them to ask me to send it back so they could check etc,they jus sent me a new one next day! superstar on the other hand were a bit of a nightmare. i had a rotor from them that arrived warped. they wanted me to send it back for testing which they admitted could be a few weeks, leaving me unable to use the bike. CBA in the end .
    I don't think that Superstar were particularily being a nightmare, in all probability they were (hopefully) concerned that one of their products had faulted, CRC are I believe just retail, the big S's distributor will credi any problem equipment.
    Ultimately CRC won't loose out on replacements, and they get great forum press... no advertising budget performs better than ... 'word of mouth' ,look on here for proof of that.
    PS I don't work for Superstar.... and have spent far too much (as far as the wife is concerned) with CRC. :roll:
    A bike..in my garage.....I MUST tinker.