All round tyres for trails, any advice? Schwalbe Hans Dampf?

RCole
RCole Posts: 5
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I've recently bought a Norco Sight and have found the Slant Six tyres very untrustworthy with my front end regularly slipping out unexpectly. As such I'm looking to get some different tyres that should do a good all-round job and I mainly ride trail centre type routes (e.g. cannock chase). Reading MBUK and the review on this website I'm tempted by the Schwalbe Hans Dampf tyres and was wondering if anyone had any advice or comments?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Theyre good tyres, but I find their square edges work better a low rather than high speeds, the Bonty XR4s on the other hand work better at high speeds than low. I'd choose one of these two depending on how you ride.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Minions all the way for me

Not the fastest, but they stick to virtually anything in 60a compound. Great grip for all but the muddiest conditions.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    To add another view, I'm very happy with my HDs, they're fine at (what I call) high speeds. Much better than the Nobby nics they replaced.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have used Hans Dampf's and found them really slow, partly because they are massive.
    I much preferred Bontrager XR4's
  • i find the minion front tyre i have in the 60a compound is rubbish round cannock in the winter. Hence, why i have got a UST Black Chili Rubber Queen 2.4 on its way.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro, work really well on the slate at Cannock, much better than Nobby Nics for sure, they don't really excel on any particular surface but don't suck on any either, they are also fairly free rolling.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Slant 6 is a ridiculous choice for the front of that bike tbh, don't know what they were thinking... You'll not find it hard to get something that works better.

Trailcentres aren't demanding on tyres tbh, anything that's been recommended here'll work. Anything halfwya knobbly and halfway sticky.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • coyote101
    coyote101 Posts: 125
    I replaced the rubber queens which kept puncturing on my Spicy with a Scott tire (cant remember the model) and a HDampf. To start with I had the HD on the back but because it is visually such I high volme tire than the Scott (althogh they are both 2.35) I switched it to the front and its great for both trail and DH riding, grips really well even in the wet weather on rooty DH tracks.
  • i have also just got myself a sight with the slant sixes on it. ive only been out on the trails with it once though but found it very slippy, but was reserving judgment on them till i ride somewhere that wasent such a muddy skating rink of a trail.
    was trying to find out if what bead they have and the exact model of them.
    why is it they are a ridiculous choice for the bike. not getting shirty if it sounds like it just genuinly interested
    cheers
    sight 3 se
  • Northwind
    TBH they're a ridiculous choice for the front of any bike. But especially a big capable one like this, that can really make use of more traction.

I really rate them on the back, though mine has come off for the winter... But on the front, no ta.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cheers mate, i think i might look into a new front one as they did feel quite slippery
    sight 3 se
  • RCole
    RCole Posts: 5
    Great, thanks for all the advice. I'm a little confused with all the model options avaible, i.e. I know UST is for going tubeless but can you still use inner tubes with them? I don't think I want to go tubeless but don't really know the pros & cons, any more advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Northwind
    UST- yes, designed for tubeless. You can still fit a tube, but they tend to be expensive and are often a bit heavier too, so generally not the best idea. Some folks who feel they need durable sidewalls choose them though. Personally I don't use these at all, I don't find the drawbacks worth it even for tubeless.

There is also Tubeless Ready (or 2bliss, or TLR) which is basically a standard tyre which will work well tubeless. So you get most of the advantages but not the disadvantages.

And then of course standard tyres, which don't tend to have any advantages over TLR, but it offers you more choice and sometimes cheapness. If you decide to go tubeless later, many standard tyres will seal up fine (my 3 main bikes have 3 tubeless ready tyres and 3 standard tyres between them, and they all seal up well and stay on fine)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Are the hans dampfs any good for natural muddy/rooty/rocky trails? I'd like something to stick on the back of my hardtail that's better than the advantage. The nature of the local trails round here is pretty wet/rooty/rocky and I have to run the advantage pretty hard to stop it pinch flatting everywhere, but then I get very little grip on the roots. I'm thinking the snakeskin sidewall on the hans dampfs might help a little?

The 42a minion I use on the front has been great through pretty much everything though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I use the nobby nic 2.25 in evo snakeskin variety, loads of grip great on most surfaces and in snakeskin variety tough too plus 580g slight downside cost nearly £50 :-(
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I love my black Chili Mountain king IIs in dry/damp conditions, but in the winter mud I ride with a black Chili Continental Baron up front with a Specialized s works Storm on rear.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • coyote101
    coyote101 Posts: 125
    I love the HDs, used to have a lot of problems with front wheel washing out, so much more grip now!
  • I'm a recent convert to HDs.

I have a grippier trailstar up front and a quicker pacestar out back. Previous tyres were a 2.5 42a minion up frotn and a RQ out back. But also run RQs 2.2s and 2.4s, minions and highrollers.

A rwally good alround/all weather trail choice these. Much quicker than the sticky, beefy minion and as i run tubeless with less pressure reasonably quick rolling - particularly on singletrack. Plenty of grip up front as well and found them to be quite confident at speed downhill. So far holding upto abuse well and holding air (run tubeless)with sealant very well (first tyre on my rear wheel i havent had to top up with air every few days!).

Definately my current go to tyre for all things british.
  • These were recommended on other similar threads, and are now back in stock at Bike Discount. I've just ordered a set, so can't speak from experience (yet), but am hoping they'll be good! At 58% off, they look like a bargain ... if they do the job!!

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... lding.html
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    tarbot18 wrote:
    I use the nobby nic 2.25 in evo snakeskin variety, loads of grip great on most surfaces and in snakeskin variety tough too plus 580g slight downside cost nearly £50 :-(

half that price on bike-discount.de. I order from there last friday and they were delivered on monday. £52 for a nobby nic and a HD inc courier delivery. Never buy anywhere else now.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    FireXCPro, all year round
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    HD on the front I found to be great in all conditions, plenty of grip, I do run it pretty soft tubeless though, not tried the XR4 though they do sound pretty good.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • I generally use rubber queens front and back. I find them fantastic do-it-(almost)-all option and haven't had puncture problems. I do put a max beaver on the back though for real swampy mud conditions...have hardly had it off recently. Mine are 29ers and have never tried running them tubeless.
  • zanush
    zanush Posts: 161
    These were recommended on other similar threads, and are now back in stock at Bike Discount. I've just ordered a set, so can't speak from experience (yet), but am hoping they'll be good! At 58% off, they look like a bargain ... if they do the job!!

I ordered the same tyres and tried them out lastnight, was miles better than the cruddy bog standard mountain kings that came fitted on the bike, at £44.63 delivered for 2 with fast delivery it's a good bargain.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Conti rubber queens in BC guise.

Job done, say no more.
  • I'm liking my HDs; trail/pace combo as supplied by the bargaintastic boys of the Vaterland .
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    zanush wrote:
    These were recommended on other similar threads, and are now back in stock at Bike Discount. I've just ordered a set, so can't speak from experience (yet), but am hoping they'll be good! At 58% off, they look like a bargain ... if they do the job!!

I ordered the same tyres and tried them out lastnight, was miles better than the cruddy bog standard mountain kings that came fitted on the bike, at £44.63 delivered for 2 with fast delivery it's a good bargain.

That compound transforms them. I've now got two sets, one for each bike and as long as Schwalbe make them I'll continue to use them and they fit my bike, it's just a shame they're only available in one size and I can't see them branching it out further, which is a shame because its how tyres should be made.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Bloody hell thats cheap ill be shopping at bike discount next time i paid nearly double that doh ,
    As above though if you get the nobby nic s in evo and snake skin great tyres and tough enough for coed y brenin , marin trail etc
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • I'm liking my HDs; trail/pace combo as supplied by the bargaintastic boys of the Vaterland .
    x1
  • mulley
    mulley Posts: 70
    I've tried all sorts like most people in the search for a do everything tyre, I currently run maxxis high rollers and highly recomend them. Also on my 29er I have maxxis ikon which are great in dry or hard surfaces but clog up in mud. The high rollers are a real do most things well but roll great.
    Giant TCR
    Planet X Exocet 2
    Trek superfly fs