There goes Lance

TheCornishMong
TheCornishMong Posts: 88
edited October 2012 in Road general
Well, it is official; Armstrong has been stripped of his titles.

Am I the only one who is feeling somewhat gutted that we've been cheated out of 7 years worth of winners?

More importantly I hope this will mark the beginning of a completely drug free era...

Comments

• I rarely care who actually wins the race, as long as it's a good race. Most of the races he competed in were good races. At the time I enjoyed them so I don't feel cheated.
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • 5tew ST
    5tew ST Posts: 16
    I Dont think we have been robbed on a winner.. Sky Sports news have worked out that in 2005 you would have to go down to 8th place to give the win to somebody that was dope free
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I get why all the punishment has been handed to him, and think its only right, but it will soon be a story that once happened. As long as they continue to prevent it repeating.

It doesnt directly effect me as such, so i wont be selling off my oakleys, and i still like Livestrong gear! :lol::lol:
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    5tew ST wrote:
    I Dont think we have been robbed on a winner.. Sky Sports news have worked out that in 2005 you would have to go down to 8th place to give the win to somebody that was dope free

More like '...win to somebody that hasn't been caught out' 8 out of the top 10 finishers were done either during the race of afterwards. It'll be nice to think that the other 2 weren't doping - but I seriously doubt it.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    they should have one clean tour and one doped up anything goes tour.

get people doing stages in like 20 mins in a few years!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I am not interested in the morals of doping and understand the arguments but when all said and done regardless of if he did or did not use enhacing drugs etc.....He still pedalled to all those wins after beating cancer and he still beat everyone else (many of whom would also have been 'using') so I still see it as an amazing achievement.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Chris Bass wrote:
    they should have one clean tour and one doped up anything goes tour.

get people doing stages in like 20 mins in a few years!

Have one tour but with double sets of jerseys. One clean, one dirty.

Then let the sponsors. media and public decide who is the best. The clean winners or the dirty winners.

I doubt there would be many entries for the dirty tour BUT would we still trust the clean riders to be telling the truth? Doubt it.

The only dirty tour sponsor might be the pharmicutical company making the EPO!!

Plus ca change!!!
  • and people think its only lance that was doping.....
    MADONE 5.2
  • Captainlip wrote:
    and people think its only lance that was doping.....

Don't think anyone's saying it was only Lance doping.

What this is all about is reaping what you sow; protecting your reputation through threatened lawsuits, coercion, intimidation, and bribery is going build you up a lot of enemies.
  • what lance did was wrong, but the fact he was so powerful and valuble is why this was made high profile, alot of the press have jumped on this to boost readers. the fact the usada knew this was going on at the time and did nothing means in the near future we will see the collapse of usada and the reputation destroyed when this finally hits the news.
    MADONE 5.2
  • I don't think it will - one only needs to look at the periodic farces that engulf UEFA and FIFA to see how they can plough on.

The bigger damage is to the sport as a whole with the withdrawal of the likes of Rabobank, which will no doubt be followed by others, and also undoubtedly discourage other firms from sponsoring the sport - which will undermine the 'glow' effect of the achievements GB's cycling effort in 2012.
  • Am I the only one who is feeling somewhat gutted that we've been cheated out of 7 years worth of winners?
    How were you cheated? did you finish second to any of his Tour wins?

There's been plenty of faux outrage on the Pro Race forums but anyone with any knowledge or experience of how both amateur and pro cycling teams have operated for decades on the continent will not be surprised.
    More importantly I hope this will mark the beginning of a completely drug free era...
    Professional cycling never has been completely clean and potentially never will. The physical demands required to achieve significant rewards means there will always be those trying to push the limits or trying to beat the system.

For a sea change to occur it would require the riders to form their own union to take control and responsibility for their own conduct and stand collectively to challenge team managers/directeur sportifs, race organisers and the national and international governing bodies to ensure that their pursuit for entertainment and success is not to the detriment of the riders who then feel compelled or forced to resort to drug taking to compete.