Brake mount on forks

banshee555
banshee555 Posts: 19
edited October 2012 in MTB general
My currant suspension forks on my Trek have a post mount for the disc brakes,I wanted to install a new set of forks on the cheap but all of the lower budget forks are IS mount type,not realy sure on adding an adapter as I think this might look bad and not line up the disc brake properly.I realy want a pair of Fox or Rock shox but not got anywhere near that kind of money.
My forks are Spinner and think there now shot as there is no recoil in them and the paint on the stanchions have worn away.
Any advice?

Regards
Karl

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    banshee555 wrote:
    Any advice?

Regards
    Karl

Yes ask a question.

adaptors have been used for years and there is no issues with them. Most people prefer them.

But like i said ask something rather than rambling.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IS mount is better than post anyway. Less chance of fubaring the fork lowers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tell that to whoever fubarred my daughters.......

That said, adaptors are a non issue, or get IS mount calipers and space them......

I run a nice IS XTR on the rear, weigh saving from binning the extra adaptor and bolts alone was about 30g!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I don't think adapters on mtbs cause problems for lining up the brakes, especially seeing as how they are used on tons of bikes. They don't look crap anyways.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    banshee555 wrote:
    not realy sure on adding an adapter as I think this might look bad and not line up the disc brake properly.

Funnily enough, adaptors line the caliper up correctly, which is why about a gazillion bikes use adaptors with no problem

I'd consider some second hand forks, maybe some RS Recons.
  • Your first mistake is using currants - everyone knows that raisins are better, unless you think it is going to be really hard packed then you should use prunes.....

My coat? Why thank you!
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.