rust

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Getting a small amount of rust in my disc brake bolts. Since i noticed i am drying inside the bolts after a wash but i will not be able to get them completely dry, anyone know of any protective sprays etc

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When they are dry, a small wipe of petroleum jelly (vaseline) works wonders, it will harden to a thick gel and stay in place, DON'T get it on the disc operating surface and DON'T spray anything near the disc! Decent quality bolts won't rust so you could consider changing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont worry about it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    When they are dry, a small wipe of petroleum jelly (vaseline) works wonders, it will harden to a thick gel and stay in place, DON'T get it on the disc operating surface and DON'T spray anything near the disc! Decent quality bolts won't rust so you could consider changing.

I will do this sounds like a good idea. But redarding nicklouse's comment -
    nicklouse wrote:
    dont worry about it.

Why shouldn't I worry? Will it not corrode the bolts, making it a problem to undo / tighten in the future?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a bit of surface rust. It will become a serious problem after a decade or two.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    It's a bit of surface rust. It will become a serious problem after a decade or two.

haha i see :oops:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I may be exaggerating a bit, but unless you use aluminium bolts, which are not a good ideas for anything stressed, they will rust a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools